Hibernation Attempt? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hibernation Attempt?

Hi everyone! My Luna and I had a scare last night. I'm not sure if it was a hibernation attempt or if she was just scared and grumpy. I've had Luna for almost 3 weeks now and she was 6 weeks old when I got her. Her cage and my apartment are always at a constant, comfortable temperature, and that hasn't changed. Last night I was cleaning her cage and put her in a new sleep sack that I made. She had never been in one before, but she seemed fine, balled up at first but then started exploring. I left her in a safe place on the floor (carpeted) while I cleaned her cage and then sat with her in the sack for a while. She was completely balled up when I went to sit with her, which I thought was a little strange, but I thought she just wen to sleep. When I went to put her back in her cage she would not unroll, which is strange because she usually unrolls and starts exploring very quickly. I picked her back up and still, nothing. I picked her up and started rubbing her back to get her to unroll. Her belly felt like it was a normal temperature, but she was unresponsive. She just "slept" and balled up when I moved. She didn't hiss or anything like normal, she just made a small whimpering/grunting sound when I rubbed her back. I sat with her for a good hour with her on my belly and trying to stimulate her to make sure she was warm. I finally put her back in her cage under some fleece and decided to wait until morning. She is now doing fine! I woke up in the morning and she was up and about like normal. She is eating and drinking, just a little more skittish when I reach in her cage to get her out, but she unrolls and explores quickly again. Was this a hibernation attempt, or something else? I am a first time hedgie mommy, so I am looking for some expertise. Thank you!
sassy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

That sounds a lot like what happened to me with Rosie Mae. You need to watch her very carefully for the next few weeks to make sure it doesn't happen again. Keep in mind that temperature is not the only factor in preventing hibernation- you also need to make sure your baby is on a consistent 12-hour light schedule. The shorter days this time of year make artificial light a necessity for our little ones to keep them healthy. Try plugging a lamp into a christmas light timer and setting it to turn on from 9am-9pm (ish).

MintyBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

This doesn't sound like a hibernation attempt. It sounds like she was scared and went into a ball and stayed there for a while. A hibernation attempt severe enough to put her into a ball, is not going to happen in the span of time it takes to clean her cage.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in