Successfully got Rosie Mae out of hibernation!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By MintyBanana

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM  

Default Successfully got Rosie Mae out of hibernation!!

Hello everyone! Two days ago I had a scary experience with my baby, Rosie Mae, and I thought I would share it with you all. I found her curled up in a tight ball and completely unresponsive. Normally my little girl is as sweet as can be and she always uncurls right away after being picked up, so this was completely abnormal behaviour for her. She's already gone through her main quilling so I knew that wasn't the cause of her sudden change in demeanor. I finally realized that she was trying to hibernate and I wrapped her up on my tummy under two sweaters and some blankets. I was worried when after about an hour and half she was still balled up, but eventually she started making little lip-smacky nosies and then finally she started to wiggle around. I snuggled with her for a few more hours until she was moving around and eating normally again. She ran on her wheel and ate some more food so I went to bed satisfied that she was recovering. Yesterday she was still extremely grumpy and skittish but today she's acting more like her happy little self, although she is still more jumpy than before the hibernation attempt. I've turned up the temperature in her cage to a cozy 78 degrees to combat the sudden drop in temp that my state is experiencing. I owe my little girl's life to this site and all of the wonderful advice that I found on the forums, and I just wanted to give my most sincere thanks to everyone who loves their tiny spike balls as much as I do.
MintyBanana is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM  
Super Moderator

Sounds like you did a great job handling it! Glad Rosie Mae is feeling better. Hibernation attempts are no fun and they come up pretty frequently on the forum around this time of year. I hope you guys stay warm for the winter!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
hibernation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in