He's trying to hibernate, please help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By Alex
  • 4 Post By Alex

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default He's trying to hibernate, please help

I'm sorry, but I'm freaking out.

When I got home today someone had turned my heater for the room off, and opened the window. I already went off on the people responsible, I'll deal with that later

I checked on Dusty and he was already starting to try hibernating. Cold to the touch, very little reaction to stimulus, but a reaction all the same

How do I make sure he's okay? Currently I've got him wrapped up in my shirt and I'm sitting in front of the heater. He's starting to respond more, and he's walking a little, but he's still cold. How do I help him? What more can I do? Someone please help me

Last edited by Alex; 08-24-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I moved to the bed, I've got a heating pad on my chest, and he's on top of a towel on the heating pad...I looked up the thread on hibernation, and I'm doing all I can right now...Can I do anything else for him?? He seemed to get better, was poking his head out and everything, but now he's back to being slow and lethargic..
Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thankfully so far I haven't had to deal with a hibernation attempt but it sounds like to me you are doing everything you can. Continue to keep him warm, maybe see if he'll eat or drink at all. Probably want to get in touch with the vet and see if they can get him in to make sure nothing else has happened as a result of the hibernation attempt.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you...I tried calling but their office is closed, and none of the emergency vets around here know how to deal with hedgehogs, so that's kind of making me freak out worse...

His stomach isn't cold anymore, and he's not cold, but he's still being really lethargic. At this point I'm not sure if it's because of the hibernation attempt or if my trying to warm him back up just stressed him out and made him more tired...
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

There is a very recent thread indicating that very same reaction after a hibernation attempt. Lethargy, Lack on interest in toys, etc. Feed him, keep him warm, make sure he is eating and drinking properly, keep a close eye on him, but don't let your stress over the situation stress him out even more. I know it's hard. I know you are freaked out. Just take deep breaths and be there for your little one. He will probably be just fine.
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you...I think he's going to be okay now. He's still really lethargic, but at this point I think it's the stress from me moving him around so much, trying to keep him warm. I have the heater up and running, and I put a heating pad under his house thing, and I'm letting him rest for now. I'm checking him periodically, and he seems to be okay. Just scary.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You did everything right! It's not unusual for them to be a bit more lethargic than usual after an attempt. Is his belly warm now? If he feels warm, I wouldn't stress yourself out too much, just keep an eye on him. He might eat and drink a bit less or be less active tonight. Just check him before you go to sleep & make sure he's warm, then check him again in the morning. Make sure you do count his food so you can see if he eats anything. I would guess he will, but just in case.

For the next couple of days, make sure the heat stays pretty steady & at least at usual temps. Make sure he has plenty of light as well (12-14 hours), just in case that's a factor. And lastly, keep an eye out for any URI symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, wheezy breathing, etc.). Sometimes hibernation attempts can cause URIs, but I'm not sure it's terribly common. Lily had many hibernation attempts and we never had a URI come out of one. I guess we were just lucky!

Try to relax a bit tonight, though I know it's hard. I freaked out for Lily's first few attempts. They're very scary to deal with, especially for the first time. I got used to them, more or less, after that, since we had so many struggles in keeping her temperature right for her. But I know it can be hard to calm down at first. He should be just fine though! You handled it very well.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much...I'll make sure to do all of that; I've been checking on him every so often and he seems to be doing much better now. He moved from the spot I put him in under his igloo to his 'normal' sleeping spot (he's a burrower, likes to be behind his wheel under the fleece for some reason), and he was also wheeling just a little while ago. I don't think he's eaten yet, but he's been drinking, so that's good. I think he's going to be alright, I just freaked way out. I'm already paranoid about my baby's health, I didn't know what to do with myself when I found him like that.

Again, thank you so much. I'll be sure to have another update in the morning.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm glad to read everything is on the right track.
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey guys...thank you for your help. Dusty's doing well. He ate a little less than he normally does, but he ate all the same. He also drank his usual amount, and is back to running around, wheeling, and playing around. I'm still going to keep an eye on him, but nothing else seems to be wrong with my baby.

Tags
hibernation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in