New baby already trying to hibernate... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New baby already trying to hibernate...

To start off, I got my little hedgie from a fairly sketch pet store where I live, I'm not sure if this is relevant to his issues though.
I got Doughnut a little over a week ago, and on his one week anniversary, he did his first full fledged hibernation attempt. I saw the signs and I warmed him up the best way i knew how. He eventually came out if it, and seemed as perky and spunky as usual.
But these following days after he attempted this, I've noticed that he has been significantly cooler than when I first got him. He moves around quite a bit, despite him being so cold. Should I be worried about this?
When I pick him up, the first thing he does is melt in my hands to absorb as much warmth as possible. When I hold him he even leaves a cold spot on my hand. The temperature of the room I keep him in is around 78 degrees so I don't suppose he should really be this frigid. Do I need heating pads for him? Is this a side affect of a hibernation attempt? Is he trying to hibernate a lot slower than before?
I'd also like to note that I do not know how old he is, he is a tiny little thing, and he's showing the first few signs of quilling, so I must have gotten him a bit too young at only 5 weeks. Is this a result of his small size and not being able to keep himself warm?
Thanks a lot for any advice available!
Creambliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'd take him to the vet and see if he has something else going on. Are you seeing any signs of a respiratory infection, sneezing, runny nose, overly wet nose. How well is he eating?

Yes, he should have a heating pad or something to provide some extra warmth where he sleeps. The hibernation attempts could be from numerous reasons but the first step would be to rule out illness. Very often pet store hedgehogs have respiratory illnesses which can cause temperature sensitivity.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

What's the temperature in his cage? Do you have a thermometer in there? You need one. It may be 78 in your house but not in his cage, especially if you have the air conditioning on.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

MomLady: we do have means to check the cage temperature and it hovers at a good hedgie temperature. Which makes his hibernation attempt even more mysterious in the first place.
---
Nancy: in my situation, a vet is the last resort effort, (I live in Korea, it will prove difficult) but if things are looking like he's really sick then I'll do my best to get him help.
He has shown signs of a URI when I first got him, he had the runny nose and sneezing, but he didn't seem to act sick. He would sneeze almost constantly whilst running a marathon in his wheel. I did want to rule out a bedding allergy so I've switched his old pine bedding (I know pine wasn't the best to begin with- but it was between that or carefresh) with some of my old shirts. He seems to have let up quite a bit on the sneezing , but he is still sneezing a little.
I'll look into getting him a heating pad, any suggestions on what I should look for?
(Thanks both of you for your concern for doughnut- I'm new to hedgies so this means the world)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

He could defiantly have a URI from the bedding. Also carefresh is a good bedding to use
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I disagree on Carefresh being a good bedding, at least not in this situation. It is dusty and can irritate his respiratory system just as much as shavings. It's best to be on cloth, at least until you figure out if he is sick or it's the bedding making him sneeze.
nikki, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 1 others like this.

Retired from breeding

Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Well if you ONLY had the option of pine or carefresh before this started happening, carefresh wouldn't have been a bad choice.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'll keep him on the cloth then, but I'm concerned that Doughnut had a hibernation attemp so young, will that affect him in a negative way in the future?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Having a hibernation attempt this young may mean he is very temperature sensitive and if so, you may always need to provide a warm cage as well as a heating pad for him. Only time will tell and he may grow out of it.

My concern though is still that he might be sick. Although his sneezing has lessened with the cloth bedding, you say he is still sneezing. Is he licking his nose frequently? Excessive nose licking is a sign of a runny nose.

How well is he eating? Count his kibble to be certain exactly how much. Hedgehogs typically hide their illness until they are very sick so his normal behaviour may not be an indication of being healthy. As I'm sure you are, keep very close attention to him.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Retired from breeding

Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

He has almost stopped sneezing, he mostly does it right after he wakes up then stops. He seems very itchy too, though I assume this is a side affects if him quilling so I'm not too concerned about that, I did give him a bath and rinse him with a little olive oils to try to soothe him a little.

As far as licking his nose, he did that a bunch a few days ago, but again, since I switched bedding he has almost stopped doing this.

And I think I solved the puzzle guys, normally when I checked the temperature around his cage, it was a good temperature, but I was thinking last night and decided to check it when the air conditioner came on, the temperature of the air that blew indirectly over his cage was 72 degrees!!! I have since moved his cage away from any vents and we've turned the a/c up a bit. I do think he is a bit temperature sensitive, so I'll have to make the proper adjustments. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in