Hedgies first night home- Frantic mom? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hedgies first night home- Frantic mom?

Hello! I just got my very first hedgehog, her names Riot! Shes 11 weeks old, and pretty sociable! I got her this morning on a 2 hour care ride there (and back!) and now that were home shes kinda sprawled out and just sleeping no matter where i put her? On me, or her wheel, or near her treat bowl. I guess im just worried shes too cold? Its about 76-80 degrees in my room, is that okay? is she too hot? shes just sleeping alot, and im worried
riot the hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Babies sleep A LOT. Kinda like getting a new puppy, or having a young child - they need a lot of sleep. My girl would sleep until after midnight if I didn't wake her up for bonding time. Plus, if you were handling her during the day, there's definitely a better chance she'll be sleeping. So her sleeping on everything isn't really anything to worry about, plus she might have been testing out places for sleeping.

As long as you're keeping her warm enough and on a 12-14 hour light schedule, you don't need to worry about any hibernation attempts (and if she's active, alert, or if she has a warm belly when she's sleeping too).

If you're worried that she's too hot, you could try bringing the temperature down a tad, nothing really below 73 degrees though. Some hedgies like colder temperatures better, while some are more active when its closer to 79-80. You just have to test and see what Riot likes. Splatting (when a hedgehog splays out it's entire body and the legs go out every direction) is a sign that she may be too hot. Sometimes it means that they're comfortable too. Here's a good thread to read on heating/cooling behavior:

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...g-cooling.html

Sorry that's a lot of info, but hopefully that helped. Have fun with your new baby!
CoffeeKat likes this.

Last edited by lilsurfergrlsp; 07-21-2014 at 09:57 AM.
lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

She could be tired. She had a long day with the car ride and then a new home. She is likely just settling in.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

You need a thermometer in her cage, so you know the exact temperature, not just the temperature in your room. There are many kinds of remote thermometers available. You do have a heating and light set up, don't you?
If not start reading the stickies on this forum.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

My girl gets overheated very easily, and I cooked her on the five-hour car ride home when I got her because it was winter and I overdid it with the heat since I didn't have a thermometer in the car. I have since discovered that she is most comfortable around 75 degrees, and she can't use double-layered snuggle sacks and I have to have the room temp in the low 70's just to have her snuggle in fleece with me. When they are too hot they will sprawl out right in the open anywhere, and if you move them they will do it again immediately without digging or fidgeting first to get comfortable.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Of course ive got her heat set up! And her thermometer bounces between 78-80, shes only happy when i fill her igloo with strips, although im nervous shes going to get to hot! I checked her at about 1am, and she had a cool tummy, even with the 79 temperature reading, so of course we had a bit of snuggle time(trying to regulate her heat again) She still doesnt get up and play though, but she is young so i dont know if shes supposed to sleep at night this much. This morning she woke up with me and played for about 3ish hours, and then went back to bed. She 'splats' on me a lot and in her igloo, so i tried taking her out into my living room(its about 69-73, i dont know the exact temp, im going off the thermostat ) but she still did the 'splat' thing. Her cage reads 80 right now, and shes asleep in her igloo burrowed under all the fleeces strips, am i just worrying too much?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

It's great that you're so concerned about her! Most new hedgie owners worry a lot, that's normal. I did too I'm sure she's fine, like I said, babies sleep a lot. If you don't wake her for bonding time, there's a good chance she'll sleep until well after midnight and only get up to eat, run, etc for a few hours before going back to sleep. It's normal for a baby to sleep a lot.

Also, if you're worried about her being too hot in her cage, you can try using a cooler fabric, such as flannel. Just make sure there aren't any loose threads. For instance, instead of her usual fleece in her igloo, my girl's been sleeping in a folded up pillow case during the summer, since my room gets hot during the day. Also, you could use an old piece of tile, or an old plate, as a "splatting area," or somewhere she can lay when she's hot.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Okay!! thank you so much!! Todays shes been acting quite normal, running around, exploring and such! I guess im just a worried mom haha
Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've always been a bit confused by the "the belly should feel warm" thing, since when I'm warm like in the summer my hedgie's belly feels room temperature or even cool to me because my hands are warm, and if I'm cold then her belly feels warm to me. I sometimes have to ask someone else to feel her lol and reassure me that she's okay lol.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkiLink View Post
I've always been a bit confused by the "the belly should feel warm" thing, since when I'm warm like in the summer my hedgie's belly feels room temperature or even cool to me because my hands are warm, and if I'm cold then her belly feels warm to me. I sometimes have to ask someone else to feel her lol and reassure me that she's okay lol.
Yup, that can be confusing haha. I think just if your hedgie's belly doesn't feel cold or cooler than normal, then they'll be okay. Also it helps to use your wrist inside of hands to feel the temperature, because it's a little more sensitive to temperature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in