Hibernation Risk if a Draft is Within Temp Range? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By abbys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation Risk if a Draft is Within Temp Range?

It is getting VERY hot and stuffy in my apartment, much hotter than it is outside because we can't open our windows! I have tried today to run a high-powered fan in the room with my hedgie, not pointed directly at the cage, but it has done nothing to lower the temperature according to her thermometer! I might try using the ceiling fan instead and cover the top of her cage, but OF COURSE the ceiling fan in this room does not get up to a very fast speed so it may be useless.

But my question is, if a draft from a fan is cooler than the current temperature but still within the hedgehog-safe range, could it still trigger hibernation?
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

What temperature is it currently in her cage?

I think if it's still over 75* a ceiling fan should be just fine. Some other things you can do to keep her cool:

- During the day, fill a water bottle and freeze it (I use the mini bottles), and put the frozen bottle on top of the cage or inside (furthest away from where she sleeps).

- Get a ceramic tile (about $0.70 at a hardware store) and put it in the cage so she can "splat" on it if she gets hot

- If she has a fleece snuggle pouch, change it to a lighter fabric like an old cotton shirt (making sure there are no loose threads)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

The cage got up to 83, but a much more stifling 83 than when our central heat kicked on in the winter and raised it that high. Even when it dropped just below 80 at night it still felt hot and she overheated while out with me. And I know this is just the beginning of summer-- the temp was only in the 60's outside! I put a ceramic tile in there yesterday and I am planning on setting up an igloo as a second sleeping spot on top of it, with an old silk scarf inside to see if she will use it. Is silk a good summer option? I it's thin, and I know silk is supposed to help keep you cool, but I don't know if it is better than cotton or something. I'm just worried because our apartment got over 100 degrees last summer and we can't get an air conditioner unit just yet.

Last edited by TikkiLink; 04-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think silk would get loose threads pretty easily and could get caught on her nails.

If it gets into the 90s you could probably set a bowl of ice on the opposite side of the room and have a fan blowing on it to distribute cooler air, but not directly on her cage.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The ice in front of a fan is a good idea-- I got another thermometer just to test what the temp is in the direct breeze of the fans, but as it gets hotter they just start to blow warm air around so ice might help that.

Good to know about the silk too-- she loves to dig viciously at her blankets so I will use something that can hold up. Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in