Thank you, HC people! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By ajweekley
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By abbys
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thank you, HC people!

Tonight we had a milestone of the crappiest kind -- Gertie had her first (and hopefully only) hibernation attempt.

Yesterday it was 82 degrees outside, and today we had a blizzard. Even though her cage still didn't get below 74 degrees, I'm assuming that maybe the pressure change in conjunction with the fast drop in temp is what triggered her attempt. So when I went to get her out for our nightly snuggle, she was in a tight ball, which is highly unusual for her. She never ever balls up. But thanks to the forums here, I knew what to do. I got out some hand warmers, put one in the pocket of my sweatshirt, and snuggled under an electric blanket with her. It took a while, but she woke up, and is now her normal sniffy, nosy self, warm belly and everything. I'm going to stay up for a while to make sure she eats and wheels and everything, but as of now it looks like we're out of the woods. I know I need to keep an eye on her for the next week or so, but I think the worst part is over.

** As I'm typing, I just heard her start running!
Nancy, MomLady and Nikkinak44 like this.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Man, I do not miss hibernation attempts! Sounds like you did a great job, and I'm glad she seems to be doing well now. That's some crazy weather you guys are getting!
Nancy and ajweekley like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, it is. It's been like this -- a few days of almost-summer weather, and then a sharp drop and it'll snow again. That was the most drastic one though.

I got her out this morning just to check, and she's acting like my normal Gert. She huffed and balled, but was opened up again within a second, which is how she always is. She ate last night, and I can tell she wheeled. Her nose is a little wet, but her nose is normally kind of wetter than average, so I'm not sure if it's actually more wet today or if I'm just being paranoid. I listened to her lungs and there's no rattle or anything, and her nose doesn't sound gurgly. I'll keep a close eye on her.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know that every hibernation attempt impacts the immune system. Is there anything I can/should do to boost her immune system? Like, I know what to do to boost a human immune system with vitamins and such, but I don't know what to do for a hedgehog.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Glad to hear she's okay

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yay! I'm glad she's ok! I don't know about vitamins and whatnot, but keep the cage temp a couple degrees higher for the next two weeks or so.
ajweekley likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hm...I'm not sure, I'm sorry. I haven't heard of anything that can be used for immune health for hedgehogs, unfortunately. I think the wildlife rehab I volunteer at has been using lysine or something for a couple of the cats, but I'm not sure that'd be any use in this situation. Could you perhaps call your vet and see if they have an ideas? Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for that. I'm glad you're keeping an eye on her - I got lucky & never had an issue with Lily getting URIs after her many hibernation attempts, but I've seen numerous other cases of it happening on the forums. Fingers crossed that she doesn't!
ajweekley likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in