Post Almost Hibernation Behavior? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Post Almost Hibernation Behavior?

My Hedgie Quinn is about 1.5 years old right now and, of course, something happened so I'm panicking.

First of all, I live in the middle of nowhere so going to a vet isn't an easy option (I'm a student at a university) BUT I could maybe make it to a city this weekend.

So here's what happened. Last night I got out Quinn to play and she was all curled up and barely responsive. I had never even HEARD of hedgehog hibernation (bad Mom!) and we didn't have this problem last year. So I pulled her into a blankie to warm up and read forums for like three hours to ensure myself this wasn't a rare and weird disease. But now she's not wanting to eat all that much and when I can get her to munch she breathes really hard like maybe she can't get in air while she does it? She's also been licking her nose a lot. I think I'm just paranoid because of our scare yesterday because she definitely puffs up when I touch her like she used to and scratches to dig at my sheets and be her normal punk hedgie self.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal? Cannot handle my panic.
QuinnMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. Welcome to the forum! Breathe. You'll get through this.

2. Here, have a lovely book on hedgehog care. That way you won't get taken by surprise again. (Downloadable & free.)

3. What's your temperature and lighting situation? Little hedgehog needs to be kept warm (74-80F is usual temperature range) with regular light cycles (12-14 hours light, 10-12 hours dark) to avoid hibernation attempts. Now she's done it once, she's more likely to try again, so it's especially important to keep her extra warm (maybe bump temperature up to 76F as minimum...)

4. Do not give her baths or get her wet in these first days after a hibernation attempt. I don't have the experience to know how long the water-ban lasts, but I did recently get taught that the temperature shock can be really bad for a weakened immune system.

5. Her immune system will be weaker right now, making her particularly prone to getting a URI. If you notice sneezing, dripping nose, or excessive nose-licking, she needs to get to a vet. URIs do not resolve without medication, and, if left alone, can worsen into pneumonia. (I don't have experience with a URI yet, but what you're describing sounds like the start of one. Might be time to save up & get to a vet...)

Hedgehogs can get more temperature-sensitive as they age, which may explain why this year was a problem when last year wasn't, or maybe she's in a draft this year, or temperature fluctuations are more extreme with the crazy weather going on.

Hibernation attempts are identified by a cool belly, a non-responsive hedgehog, reduced appetite, reduced activity, or even wobbly-disoriented walking. Sounds like that's what you found, and that you successfully warmed her up. If you ever pick her up with a cool belly, use your own bodyheat or a heating pad (on low) to warm her up; do NOT use warm/hot water.
dburkhead likes this.

Last edited by Annie&Tibbers; 01-16-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

What's the temp?
Chloethehedgie7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Smile

Lower seventies. EEP. She's looking a lot better now though. Crawling around and eating! I've moved her cage onto a table and put a heat lamp (not just the heat kind, it's got light too. Borrowed it from the roommate after an unfortunate and shocking turtle death) by the cage.

Tummy still a little cold but hopefully will improve with the new setup! As soon as I'm back from class tomorrow I'll make sure she gets nice and warm.

I'm driving to my parents' this weekend and I'm going to buy a space heater PLUS I found a hedgie- friendly vet I can take her to for a checkup there- probably best to do that in any case, right? She's never been. Found a little eye gunk but I think it's just eye sleepy. Haven't seen any more.

I think the problem is the light! Last year she was in the light a lot more but I shuffled her somewhere that doesn't get any light at all. Again, bad mom. So I'm going to leave the lamp on tonight (it's seriously bright lol) and maybe through class tomorrow to make sure she gets about 15 hours of light.

Thanks for talking me down! I've read up now and I know how to keep her more comfortable!
QuinnMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, sounds like you've got a better situation.

Your shopping list:
1. A thermostat & a CHE (no light, just heat) or a space heater. Some space heaters have built-in thermostats. If you buy a separate thermostat, make sure it is rated for a high enough wattage to control the heating setup.

2. A timer. You can get them at most hardware stores, and many drug stores. You might even find some in Christmas-surplus. They're typically $5-$15. Use the timer to control an ordinary lamp to give her regular lighting.

Is it day or night where you currently are? If it's daytime, yup, leave the light on when you're in class. If it's currently night, turn the light off to give her a dark night.

It sounds like a fantastic idea to take her to the vet this weekend. That's not too far off. Make sure they specifically check for any signs of a URI.

Your little one doesn't have any symptoms of mites (frantic, frequent scratching) so this shouldn't be an issue, but if it ever comes up in the future: vets sometimes want to use Ivermectin injections for mite-treatment. Most owners are really against this because it's really easy to overdose, and hedgehogs can have escalating allergic reactions (that can even be fatal). Instead, using topical Revolution is much less risky.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
2. Here, have a lovely book on hedgehog care. That way you won't get taken by surprise again. (Downloadable & free.)
Oh, I wish I had seen that before we had (or, more specifically, before we'd lost) Matt.
dburkhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

dburkhead: I read through your experience with him, and am so sorry for your loss. I try to make sure to link everyone to the guide on their first visit to the site since it took me months until I encountered it. It helps so much to have all the critical information organized in one place. Since it's written by a breeder, she keeps it updated to changing best-care practices, and frequently goes through explaining multiple options and the pros and cons of each. It's such a valuable resource for new hedgehog owners!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Slick's water bottle sprang a leak and by the time I noticed (only a couple hours) he was sitting in a puddle of cold water. He was definitely listing to one side when he tried to walk, but I warmed him, and gave him some mealies and waxworms. That was Saturday evening, and I also gave him some strawberry pieces yesterday (he anointed for the first time! Now he smells like strawberries, though thankfully he's not pink, lol. Vet doesn't want me bathing him until the revolution treatment is done, so I would have had to leave him that way). But he's not really touching his regular food, and he didn't get up and play last night either. I can't tell yet if he's still wobbly, cause he didn't want to walk when I took him out last night after the strawberries. How long should the wobbliness last before I should start worrying about WHS? He's the right age to start showing symptoms...I'm worried!
bassettgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's very unlikely it's WHS. It's much more likely that he's still not warm enough, there's something else bothering him, or he's gotten an URI from being chilled by the water.

Take him out and feel his belly? Does it feel nice and toasty warm, or kind of lukewarm or cool? It should be the first one, if it's either of the other two, you should put him against you or on a heating pad on low until he feels toasty warm.

What temperature is his cage? Do you have a thermometer in it? And do you have a heating set up? You should, at the very least, have a thermometer so you know the exact temp of the cage.

Hedgehogs are more at risk for hibernation issues right after having an issue, so it may be that he needs the temp up a couple degrees after the issue with the cold water. If you can listen to his breathing, if it sounds rattly or congested at all, that's a sign of an URI. Other signs include lots of nose-licking, a runny nose, and sneezing, as well as disinterest in food (sometimes). If you notice any URI symptoms, it's time for a vet visit as soon as you can get him in.

Alternatively, has anything in his room changed? Temperature, lighting, smells? Anything that would make him not want to come out of his igloo?

Edit: Also, just for future reference, it's usually best to start your own topic for a question since it can get confusing if you post on someone else's.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Roger on the new topic thing. I'm picking up a thermometer on Thursday, and His tummy is still a hair cooler than usual, but not too bad. I'm gonna pull out my heating pad today. If he's still wobbly in a day or two I'm going to take him back to the vet (though he has a post-mite checkup on the 27th). I haven't noticed any extra nose licking, and his nose is no wetter than usual. I can't really tell if it might be an ear thing, since they're still a bit dirty from the mites. The only thing I changed in his room was switching from carefresh to a fleece liner so I could keep a better eye on quill loss while he recovers from the mites. Thanks for the fast response. I'm glad someone with more experience could reassure me that it's unlikely to be WHS.
Lilysmommy likes this.
bassettgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in