Signs of half-Hibernation, maybe? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Draenog
  • 1 Post By ajweekley
  • 2 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Signs of half-Hibernation, maybe?

My little hedgie is at my Aunt's house, and she called to say that Thistle (my hedgie) is making her nervous.
They left for 3 days, and she had seen that Thistle hardly ate anything and hardly drank anything. She doesn't really run on her wheel at night anymore.

My aunt went and checked on her when they got home, and Thistle is fully responsive. But when my aunt went to put her in her cage, she just went to her blanket, when she normally would go and eat and drink. My aunt said that she hasn't noticed any new pee spots or poop.

I'll be going over there tomorrow to see Thistle, and I have a warmer blanket to bring for her. She gets the full light that she needs, and my aunt said that she noticed a change from moving her cage off the futon and onto the table next to the futon. Thistle is still in the same room, but closer to the door.

Any ideas? I can't change the heart, and they keep it at a warm 70 degrees or higher in their house, I believe. Would a nice, warm, cozy blanket help her? She has a towel right now.
Or, could she just be depressed that she hasn't heard anything in a couple of days? My aunt spends a lot of time working in her office, where Thistle is living, and all of a sudden there was no noise, no nothing going on.

Any ideas would be welcomed. I just can't add heat, except for more blankets.
sls8486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

You'll have to add heat. Why can't you add heat? 70 F is too low, 75 F is a better temperature. You'll need a thermometer in the cage to make sure it truly is the right temperature. The temperature of the room/house in general isn't accurate enough, since it can differ a lot even in one room.
Find a way to keep her cage warm, blankets won't work. If her body temperature is dropping already she won't keep herself warm even with a blanket. Maybe a human heating pad or hand warmers could work as a temporarily solution?

Has she been eating and drinking or did she stop eating/drinking at all? If they stop eating/drinking it goes downhill very quickly. If she hasn't been eating or drinking you'll need to syringe feed her food and water.
Nancy, Lilysmommy and ajweekley like this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll ask my aunt if she has a heating pad, and I'll get Thistle some hand warmers.
I'm not quite sure on her eating and drinking. As far as I know, she has been eating and drinking a little bit, but not enough to go potty as much as she was before.
It was enough to make my aunt nervous, and to call me about it. That's why I came on here, for some tips and advice - which I thank you for.
sls8486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

A small space heater would be good and should be easy to find. Or if you have a good pet supply store, a heat lamp with a thermostat would be best.
Draenog likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Glad your aunt called you If her belly feels cold(er) to the touch she might be hibernating. Try warming her up with your body heat. Don't give her a bath, even if the water is warm, it'll only make her colder. Warm her up and when she's warm and active again, put her back in the cage with some fleece/blankets and the heating pad or hand warmers. Keep an eye on here since they often try to hibernate again in the next 2 weeks after the first try.
Make sure she eats (measure her food/water intake); you can always syringe feed her if you aren't sure about her eating or drinking, that's better than her eating nothing at all. I hope she'll be allright!

Are you able to get a proper heating set up for her in the future? Most people use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) and a thermostat, which is pretty easy. A space heater could also be an option.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
depression, heat, hibernation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in