Need urgent help !! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Need urgent help !!

I need help x iv a pigmy headgehog whom I got from a friend as her daughter was allergic to the sawdust!
She's a beautiful little thing and love her to bits! She's about 6mth old! Iv noticed she wasn't eating her food it's been a full day of her not eating, so then tonight I cleaned out her cage and noticed she was barely moving ???? Straight away I googled it and came up with all sorts x it's in the
Middle of the night and I can't get her to a vet so iv had her wrapped in a blanket in my arms with my electric fire on! I can now see her breathing ( in her little ball) get quicker! Iv put a blanket in her little cottage and sorta got her wrapped up in it like a duvet on a bed! Am I going the right thing! Iv 2yr old triplets that wake during the night I'm scared to leave her but I have to see to the triplets aswell what do I do ?? I don't have a heated Mat either I didn't think I needed one x
Michellerussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is her belly cold? What temp is her cage kept at? Wrap her in a blanket and put her under your shirt and wait to see if she unballs.

Also... sawdust??

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First things first - is her belly warm or cool? It's good that she's still breathing and you're doing fine so far. If her belly is cool, she's attempting hibernation. If you don't have any kind of heating pads or mats in the house, put her against you, either under your shirt, or with only a thin t-shirt on & put a sweatshirt on or wrap a blanket around both of you.

Once she's warmed up, you'll need to make sure she stays warm. Do you have a thermometer in her cage? If not, you need one. The cage temperature needs to be somewhere between 73-78*, and it's best to keep it to a 2-3* range. For example, most people aim for 75-77* or so. If you can't get any heating supplies right now, keep her cage near the electric fire & keep it on if at all possible. Otherwise, turn your house heat up to 73-75* if possible. Tomorrow or as soon as you can, you'll need to get something so you can keep her cage warm enough - the most common methods are a space heater (heats the whole room) or a CHE set up (heats the cage only). Space heaters are generally easier to get a hold of since there's only one thing instead of four parts. If you think it might take you several days or longer to get a CHE set up, it'd be a good idea to just get a $30-40 space heater to keep the room warm until you can get something more permanent. They usually have small, cheaper space heaters at stores like Walmart or at home improvement stores. A CHE set up, you'll need to go to a pet store for, or order things online. There's more information about CHE set ups here for when you have a chance to read - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html

If her belly is warm, she's got something else going on. Not eating for a day isn't a good thing, but only one day shouldn't prevent her from moving around. If this is the case, getting her to a vet ASAP is a good idea, as well as gathering syringe-feeding supplies (canned cat food or baby food, syringes which you can get from a pharmacy or vet) in case she continues to not eat. If she is cold, it'd still be a good idea to gather syringe-feeding supplies in case something else is going on or in case she doesn't return to eating once she's warm. You won't want her to go more than another day without eating anything on her own.

I'm sorry you had to join the forum in an emergency, but welcome anyway! Once we get things fixed up here, we can give you more information & help on caring for your little one if you have any more questions. This is a fantastic care book that's free to download that would be great to check out once you get past the emergency & have some time - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi.../download.html

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sawdust i ment compressed shavings what we got from the pet shop,I'm not sure of the temperature as I havnt got on, like I said before Iv had her wrapped up in a blanket on me and the two of us in front of my electric fire iv then put a blanket inside her cottage and covered her in it like you would with a duvet. It's been just over an hour and she's started moving her head around
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

It would be better for her if you could keep her on you as much as possible until she is completely back to normal. Just having her wrapped in a blanket in her cage won't warm her very much because if she's attempting hibernation then her body isn't generating much if any heat so she won't warm up.
Nancy, Lilysmommy and JulieAnne like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad she's starting to show improvement! Is she starting to feel warm as well? Do you have a thermometer in the house at all? If not, I would get one tomorrow if at all possible so you can monitor her temperature. You can get a digital thermometer with a probe for pretty cheap at a store like Walmart.

For tonight, I'd move her cage by the electric fire or boost the house temp & keep her in whatever room seems to stay the warmest. Once hedgies have one hibernation attempt, they're more likely to do so again in the next week or two after, so it's important to keep her warm. I forgot to mention before, but it's also important to make sure she gets 12-14 hours of light each day - daylight's not usually enough especially in the winter, so a lamp is best for that.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thankyou Kelsey iv obviously never had a hedgehog before and I'm actually furious with the pet store because I asked loads of questions on how to look after her etc and there response was look after her as you would a guinea pig ??? Obviously not x I'll be at the per store first thing in the morning x it's now 250 in the morning and I'm shattered bit looks like I'm on the couch tonight lol! She was on hedgehog crunchy dry food aswell as the wet hedgehog food, I then tried her on the moist dry food and to be honest I don't think she's took it as I find her bowl tipped over, I them ran out of the wet food with it been the Christmas period I thought she would've been all right seen as though I had the dry food also! Could this have an impact also ??
Iv just checked on her again and she's definitely moving iv a little cottage inside her cage which iv got ( pet tissue bedding in) aswell as a blanket in also x she hasn't came out of the cottage yet but she looks like she's sniffing around it ?
What should I do now ? Should I get her back out and try some wet food how would I do that ??
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes, a sudden change in what she normally gets to eat could have prompted her to go on hunger strike...but considering she still had a familiar food available to her, I would guess it's more likely related to the hibernation. But it is a possibility!

It's good that she's moving & sniffing around! Take her out & make sure her belly is warm though, and let us know, just to be sure she's all warmed up from the hibernation attempt. I wouldn't press food on her right away, personally. She might have not been eating from being too cold, so I'd give her a chance to eat on her own tonight. Give her a couple options if you can - her usual food mix (if you have the wet food again), some dry food dampened, and maybe just some wet food on its own. Sometimes they'll eat more with more options.

Keep us updated on how she's doing! I hope she eats for you tonight. Make sure she stays warm!
JulieAnne likes this.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

As previously stated, having her in the cage with a blanket really isn't enough. She needs to be laying on you to use your body heat. And having a thermometer is a must. You will probably also need to invest in some sort of heat set up, a CHE or a space heater to keep her cage warm from now on.

I also strongly recommend you read this book. It will tell you EVERYTHING you could need to know and more
http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi...ook/index.html

Keep us updated!

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Omg thankyou soo much xx I managed to grab an hours sleep and on waking I was eager to check on her x she is definitely alive and kicking and seems to be back to her usual self ( tipping everything over lol she's managed to eat both her wet foot and her dry and got back to bed n snuggled up in the blanket I put it xxx
What a fright I got though so thankful I found this site because without it she would most definitely will have passed away I simply didn't have a clue!
I'm starting to read the book you's sent do that will give me all the info I need x
I'm slightly confused about the light x should she be awake and active during the day ?? Then dark and sleepy on night ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in