Help! I think she's hibernating? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyouhai
  • 1 Post By Nancy
  • 1 Post By Kalandra
  • 3 Post By claire_nicole

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! I think she's hibernating?

My baby lives in a cage that is in a room that is always at least 72 degrees. She has a lot of bedding along with fleece blankets and a ceramic heater to keep her warm. Underneath all her stuff the temperature is 80 degrees (I measured). She hasn't eaten and when I pick her up her belly is cold. But other than that she isn't acting any different. I think her problem is a lack of light because it is always overcast here. If I change the light problem, how long will it be until she is eating again?
claire_nicole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

First you need to warm her up slowly! Use your own body heat or a heating pad set on low to slowly raise her temperature! Once she is awake then worry about keeping her at a steady temperature. The lighting can be fixed by getting a lamp that you can turn on and off manually or have a timer by her cage but for now just leave the light on in the room she is in.

I hope the little one is ok! I am also new so I would take any of the older members or breeders advice over mine but I noticed no one has responded and warming up a hibernating Hedgie is important!

Also DON'T use warm water to heat her up that could send her into shock or risk drowning.
Chloethehedgie7 likes this.
Kyouhai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If she hasn't been eating you need to start syringe feeding her and get some food into her. Make certain she is warm enough and responsive so she doesn't choke.

As Kyouhai mentioned, she does need a lighting schedule which is very easy to accomplish. Also, is her cage a consistently warm temperature?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nancy said it right, Her cage has to be a consistent warm temp. The room can't be her heat even though it is at least 72, they can still get cold. Yes, do NOT stick her in water just yet, you MUST use your body heat for this one.

Make sure her cage is always a warm temp. If you have a fan in there, I wouldn't recommend it pointing at her, just a tip.

Hope all goes well with your little girl. Remember, I am no Administrator, just an owner with my hedgie opinions.
Chloethehedgie7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloethehedgie7 View Post
Remember, I am no Administrator, just an owner with my hedgie opinions.
What does being an "Adminstrator" have to do with this? A hibernation attempt has nothing to do with the running of the forum which is what Administrator's do.
nikki likes this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Yes, her cage is constantly warm. Every time I have check it has been 79/80. She had a light on in the room for about 12 hours yesterday and I turned it off around 9pm. She did not wake up on her own last night. I woke her up to check on her belly and she was warm! She was very active and very much herself but she just will not eat! I'm afraid i will have to syringe feed her. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about this?

Side note: She did poop and pee on me yesterday, this is good right? It means she has had something to eat and drink in the near past?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

If she has a favourite food, like a canned cat food, baby food peas, or something like that, offer it to her. See if you can perk her interest in anything. If she shows no interest, I'd go ahead and try to syringe feed her to get a little in her stomach now. I'd also put her kibble in her bed with her. Weigh or count it before you put it in and reweigh/count tonight when you get her up. See if she eats at all from her bed. If she doesn't eat while in her bed, syringe feed her again tonight. Keeping food in her stomach is important to prevent her from trying to hibernate again. For lack of a better way to say it, she needs fuel to keep that internal furnace going.

To syringe feed, I either use a pate style canned cat food, or crush their kibble to a super fine powder and add water to make it a paste. I prefer the canned pate style cat foods as they are often simple, higher calorie, and they tend to be more palatable. But crushed food will work if you are in a pinch., you just really need to crush it fine to prevent a piece from clogging the syringe.

If she continues to fast, schedule a veterinary visit. Hibernation attempts can also be a symptom of an underlying illness.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Claire. How are things going today?
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

She is currently awake and running on her wheel! I heard her last night as well. She did eat but only a little. I think having a light schedule is really helping! Thanks so much for all your help and your concern!
Nancy, Lilysmommy and brittbritt like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in