Brand new Hedgie-hibernation? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brand new Hedgie-hibernation?

Okay, so I'm a new hedgie mom as of today! My significant other got me a cute little hedgie from a pet store (which has me worried to begin with, as well as this is my first hedgehog.) His cage is beside our apartment's heater and for I've thrown in lots of towels and shirts for him to snuggle in inside out outside of his hut. Since I've only had him for today, I do not want to disturb him, but also want to make sure he is warm enough. He has been seemigly sleeping, and from what I can tell from a distance he breathing is pretty steady. Any tips for monitoring him while he adjusts?
Jayea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to have a thermometer (digital is best so you can get maximum accuracy). There are even some fancy ones that will tell you the highs and lows over the past 12 (or 6, 24, etc) hours. Put it near his sleeping area and if it maintains a steady temperature that should set your mind at ease.
Gruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Since it sounds like you're now on a crash course for learning about hedgehogs, check out this book.

If you can give your little friend something that smells like you (a worn tshirt, some fleece fabric you've slept with...) to snuggle into, it'll help him start associating your smell with safety.

You want to handle him every single day. (It's a constant debate about leaving them alone the first night nor not; I stole mine for about 15 minutes of snuggles.) That handling can be as simple as scooping him up in a bundle of blankets to sleep on your lap while you watch tv -- that whole time he'll be smelling you and realizing that no, this scary monster-creature isn't eating him.
fishhead likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in