Worried - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bindi
  • 2 Post By Bindi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Worried

Hi!
I took my Hedgie home. Traveling went fine, Bindi is a cool hedgie. But now my parents causally told me that the heating will go off at night so after 1 till 7 it will be 17C/62F. And it got me really worried? I don't know what I should do! During the day it is all fine of course but at night? God. I do know that my student home is a constant heat of 25C/77F which is fine for her. (Active etc.)

I don't really have a heating lamp or anything? I did put like little heating pads in her bed/cage and she seems to like them a lot. It is 11.10PM with me now. So I can't really do much about her first night. How worried should I be?
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

17 degrees is way too low of a temperature for hedgies. They may have a hibernation attempt. Is there a warmer room that you can put her in? Since it is the first night and you can't do much, she will be dependent on heating pads alone to keep herself warm. Make sure they are working! Oh and pile lots and lots of blankets for her, I suppose.

By the way, do you have a thermometer in her cage?

I would advise you to look for a CHE the next morning to avoid temperature fluctuations in her cage.

Last edited by LittleWontonPoo; 11-22-2013 at 05:23 PM.
LittleWontonPoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is there a room that's smaller and/or stays warmer than the rest for the night? If so, move her cage there. Putting blankets around it can help hold heat in. Is there any way they would be willing to keep the heating on for tonight until you can get an alternate heating set up for her? Emphasize that 62* is WAY too cold for her well-being, and that to keep her safe (and to avoid possible vet bills, if you think that'll sway them), it'd be really, really appreciated if you could keep heating on for tonight. Even 70* would be better than nothing.

Do what you can to convince them, and if you can't, be prepared to deal with a hibernating hedgehog in the morning, just in case - keep in mind that water is a no-no, you'll want to put her on a heating pad on low or under your shirt to warm her up. You'll need to go out tomorrow and get either a space heater or a CHE set up, whichever is easiest to get a hold of in the stores near you. A thermostat-controlled space heater would probably be easiest, since it seems like a lot of pet stores don't carry thermostats in-store for some reason. You don't want a CHE set up without a thermostat. You'll want to watch the temperature for the next couple days and keep an eye out for another hibernation attempt (if she does have one tonight). Also keep an eye out for sneezing, runny nose, and wheezy/raspy breathing, all signs of an URI, which can sometimes be caused by a hibernation attempt.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

How long will you be at your parents's house? Do they have a space heater you could set up by her cage while you're there?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Holydamn. I will put more heating pads into her cage + blankets. Hopefully it will work. She is still very active now. And eating a lot. So that maybe a good sign. I'm so worried now. I think my mom has a heating lamp so I can maybe use that? And no. The whole house just goes lower with the whole 'energy saving' thing.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

@Lilysmommy Like I said, It is automatic. I honestly didn't know that they did this whole new energy saving plan. So I can't convince anyone. It just goes automatically.

I will put some alarms at night to check on her. That would be best to do. And thank you I will look for all the signs. Though now she is doing really well. She is drinking, eating, playing and exploring. I hope she will get through the night. God i feel so stupid.

@abbys Only for one more night. Then renovating is done!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found a small heater on the attic!!!! I think she will make it now!
Thanks for the tips!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-11-23 00.08.51.jpg (118.3 KB, 11 views)
Lilysmommy and abbys like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

She made it through the night without hibernating! She din't had a running nose, or cold belly. She ate all her food and is now eagerly revamping her home. Thank you for your help! All of you!
Lilysmommy and abbys like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yay!!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in