Hibernating with heat pad - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By kibeth_x

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernating with heat pad

Hi,

I have 3 hedgies and this is my first winter with them. All are set up with a heating pad in one half of their cage, wrapped in a blanket so it's not too warm (though they can dig under the blanket if they choose to). 2 of them are doing great and I find them sleeping on their pad every morning. The other one is NEVER on her pad, and I've had to stop her from hibernating about 5 times now.

Anytime I put her back on it, or even near it, she'll stay for a few horus but in the morning she's always curled up somewhere else and freezing. Do you have any suggestions for what to do? I can't adjust the heat on the heating pad to make it cooler, but it's definitely not too hot, so I can't figure out why she won't stay on it
kibeth_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is one reason heating pads aren't recommended to use at all unless you have an older or sick hedgehog that needs supplemental heat where they sleep. You need heating systems that will heat the air, not just the floor of the cage - a space heater or a CHE set up are the most common methods.

To be honest, you should do something different for the other two, even if they're not having problems yet - one of the reasons heating pads aren't recommended is because when they move away from them, there's a change in temperature that can cause hibernation attempts too. The air needs to be warmed, especially at night when they're up and about, spending time away from the heating pad & on their wheel.

There's more information on space heaters and CHE set ups here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html
nikki and ceopet like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess that makes perfect sense, thanks. I'll look into investing in a CHE, I have a bunch of other critters in their building and I don't want to make it too hot for them, so it seems like a perfect optioN!
Lilysmommy likes this.
kibeth_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in