Wisnton made more than an attempt.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wisnton made more than an attempt....

Woke up today late because i wasn't feeling well, it hasn't been terrible cold lately but last night the temp apparently dropped because i walked out to the living room and it was freeezing, the wall heater wasnt on just a portable heater. So i ran over to his cage and he was all the way under his wheel in the coldest spot possible, his temp said 72 degrees, but that was by the che which i always keep on for a heat gradient with hides in all areas. (temps during the day here vary SO much some days)

So i took his wheel up, and he WOULD NOT unball, i thought he was well on his way to dead and i was assuming he had been that way for a few hours I have no idea why the wall heaters which were set to kick on at 70 didnt, but i'm not trusting that thermostat again. Usually the portable keeps it pretty warm for fall, but i guess winter temps are officially here.
So i grabbed him and literally RAN to the bathroom to get the heat pad, wrapped it in a towel, made a b-line for the bedroom, plugged in the heat pad and literally dove back under my covers.

After a few minutes he started to unball slowly, so under a nice warm blanket fort i took him out and started to help him un-ball while blowing on his yummy (warm air), petting his little cheeks, he was FREEZING ALL OVER and he kept licking his nose over and over again. After he sat there for a while he started shaking in all directions, it looked like huge shivering. He tried to walk around and literally fell over. I of course at this point am almost in tears feeling like the worst human EVER.

So there we sat for about 30 minutes he slowly stopped shaking and started sniffing around which didn't sound wheezy, stopped licking his nose. He sniffed and licked my arm which i translated to mean "thank god you have that heating pad!" and started walking around, little wobbly at first but then seemed normal. His belly and feet were warm again too.

A few more minutes and he was like the complete opposite of 15 minutes before, it was like he was in warp mode and was trying to do everything he missed out on while he was "hibernating". he immediately went to the bath room on the towel and then just started running around the bed trying to climb me (he loved climbing) and exploring under the sheets. So i put him in a travel cage, dragged his cage in, set up his wheel and after making sure the wall heater was on dropped him in his little house and he was off. straight to the food dish. Then RAN to his wheel and wheeled for about 20 minutes (in the daylight!!) then went into his little igloo and hid. The house was right under the CHE which i turned up a bit and moved the thermometer probe right over it. Then covered the igloo with a snuggle sack to help insulate it.

He has been fine the rest of the day when i have been checking, eating mealies and has a warm belly. Basically back to the normal Winston.

So yeah i have read on here to check up on them more often, to thwart a re-attempt at his first really good go at hibernation.

I just wanted to post to share the nerve wrecking experience.

Phew, im just happy he wasn't too far gone! I was so scared he wouldn't wake up.

Last edited by PirateHedgie; 10-26-2013 at 04:14 AM.
PirateHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good job with catching him!

From what I've read in the archives, crank the heat up a few degrees warmer than normal for the next few weeks to even months, to keep him from re-attempting. His immune system is going to be weaker now, so he's going to be more prone to URIs. Be extra-vigilant and paranoid about more attempts at hibernation, and every sneeze and sniffle.

(Also, awesome job remembering body heat & heating pads = good, warm bath water = terrible.)
PirateHedgie likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad he came out of it and is feeling better! Hibernation attempts are pretty freaky, even after you're kind of "used" to them. Hopefully he doesn't have any more in the next few days, sounds like you're on top of things though.
PirateHedgie likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in