dehidraytion - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy dehidraytion

My hedgehog Milo, has been lately for the past few days been sitting by the water thing and been drinking or just sitting there. He hasnt been really eating and running on his wheel a lot. I was wondering if he would be dehybrated and not getting enough water? I put a water bowl in there so that he would have access to strait up water, but is there anything else I should do? With the water thing, the water isnt comming out fast enough for him I have had to apply pressure to it so that the water comes out faster and then he drinks it all. I'm just really worried for the little guy.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgies can go downhill really quickly without food and water, so see if you can get him to drink water from a syringe or something. Or you can give him fruit or baby food, both are good sources of water.

Is his cage warm enough? Are there any changes in his poop? Has anything in his environment changed that could have thrown him off?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

It could be that the change in the weather could be affecting him. I have a heat pad and am thinking about setting up a heat lamp that gives off red light to help him to keep warm when he is not in his little hut.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

His cage needs to be at least 73 degrees at all times. A heating pad won't heat the whole area evenly so he'll be going back and forth between warm and cold which can cause him to attempt hibernation. It can also cause burns.

Do you have a thermometer to know exactly what temperature it is? He could be lethargic due to a hibernation attempt and if that's the case he needs to get a proper heat system setup immediately.

Try using a CHE instead of a lamp that gives off light all the time. It's important they have 12-14 hours of light a day, but at night it should be dark: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html

Here's a thread about what to do in case of hibernation: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...bernation.html
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

where can i get a CHE cause that could be the solution and I feel so bad about this happening and want to get it fixed and him feeling well again.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

i went to the hibernation link and saw the links and have found what you are talking about and plan on getting one put in, does this really work, is it guranteed, I want the best for my hedgehog. The problem is that my dad puts the house down to 66 degrees and wont go any higher, sometimes i sneak down and set it to 70 but he gets mad. So will this work instead of a pad. The pad I have is a snuggle safe, you heat it up in the mirowave and it stays warm for 12 hours. It is a circle and only inside his hut. but this CHE will i beable to have them both running, or should i only have the CHE?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

You can get everything at amazon.com (it's way cheaper than at a pet store). These aren't the only brands available but it's what I own so I just copied everything from my purchase history.

Self-regulating thermometer - you can plug the CHE lamps into it, set the dial to the temp you want and it will turn the lamps on and off accordingly:
Amazon.com: Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt: Pet Supplies

CHE lamp - depending on how big his cage is you'll probably need two of them:
Amazon.com: Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 10-Inch Dome, Black: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 10-Inch Dome, Black: Pet Supplies

CHE bulb - if you have two lamps, 100 watt bulbs should be enough:
Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts: Pet Supplies

Digital thermometer - so you have an accurate temp read-out:
Amazon.com: Zoo Med Digital Terrarium Thermometer: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zoo Med Digital Terrarium Thermometer: Pet Supplies

The initial setup can be a bit pricey, but it's energy efficient and works really well. The snuggle safe pad can be used for emergency heat, but if you have CHEs you shouldn't need the pad.

Last edited by abbys; 10-02-2013 at 02:00 AM.
abbys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

In case you need to convince your dad that the cost is worth it, just remind him of the overall cost. Hedgehogs can easily go into hibernation and die from it, which would mean that whatever you spent to buy him would essentially be thrown away. Also, I keep my apartment at 66 degrees, too, but with the CHEs Pig stays nice and warm and my heating bill stays down.

It's always easier to convince parents when you put finances in perspective.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

amazon is blocked on my school computar which is what i am using now, so how much does all this cost?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Roughly $120 + tax:

Two lamps = $20 each
Two bulbs = $18 each
Regulating thermostat = $35
Digital thermometer = $5

And possibly shipping, but I think Amazon offers free shipping on most of that stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in