Buddy did the weirdest thing... not sure if to be worried - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buddy did the weirdest thing... not sure if to be worried

We had Buddy out this evening as usual running around the sofa. He tried to hide under a pillow, which is normal for him, and I pulled him out to try clip some nails. Then he freaked out, which he's never done, and ran on top of his pouch, balled up with his face hidden. He is usually a very huffy, puffy hedgie when disturbed, but when I tried to touch him he didn't react at all, ignored me completely, no huffing, no popping, nothing. So I freaked out, picked up the pouch and held him up, he glared at me from under his mohawk, looking half asleep but still no sound, no popping, no growl of annoyance. Put him on my chest and he just splatted there, looking up at me. Then seconds later he started looking around and huffing as normal and I was relieved, but I have no idea what happened and now I'm worried and I keep poking him to check he's ok.

We don't have any heat regulator in his cage because we live in a warm country and our house is always very warm, we've had him since November and had no problems so far with hibernation attempts and I feel his belly everytime I take him out. I felt his belly, and he seemed warm enough, not as warm as normal but not cold enough to suddenly be so lethargic. He's eating and pooping fine too and as far as I can tell he's using his wheel as normal (pee/poop on and around the wheel and footprints).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could have happened or should I just let it pass as a weird moment? He seems fine now, he's asleep in his pouch huffing as usual. He is a very cuddly guy once he's awake, but he hates mummy disturbing his sleep or exploration :3
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Buddy did the weirdest thing... not sure if to be worried

Sometimes Alfred will switch strategies when trying to get me to leave him alone, and instead of huffing and popping at me, he'll just stay as still and quiet as he can be. It's a common prey behavior I think, it just sucks for them that we've got a better eyesight.

Think of the T-Rexes in Jurassic Park...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, that's interesting, he's never done it before but he might have decided to try it. Didn't work if he tried hehe.

In any case I'll keep an eye on him and hope it doesn't become a habit with him.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like what Sonic did when I was telling him no about diving under his liner. he would splat in the middle of his cage and he looked like he was pouting about it.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in