Please help, I need advice on hibernation. - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dee

Default Please help, I need advice on hibernation.

Okay I guess im turning into a major thread hopper, as this is the third fairly hysterical post I've posted about the same hedgie. But any advice is really welcome.

She's approx 12 weeks, I got her yesterday in bad condition. Very underweight. Only ate a single kibble of food last night and is now in hibernation. I put her in a towel in a heating blankt to try and get her temp back up, and she has become somewhat more responsive(softly hissing eyes open shuffling away), but has become twitchy(nose ears mouths whiskers twitching as if shivering or -please say not-spasming) I have had a hedgehog that slipped into hibernation multiple tmes even though he was kept warm ( he was old though) and he subsequently died.

She had some form of diarrehea yesterday( i cant tell if it was just the stress or if the food she was on was really disagreeing with her-it could be both)
I figure if she continues to not eat she's not going to have the energy to heat herself up.

I would really appreciate advice, I have said before I have a vet, but he can only offer me basic advice, as I am the only hedgehog owner he has dealt with.- and never anything like this.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Please help, I need advice on hibernation.

Do you have a CHE and a thermometer in her cage? Try to get the air temp up as well. When Knarla attempted hibernation, I put her up my shirt, with fleece over her and she warmed fairly quickly.

I know you don't want to warm too rapidly, and don't want to bath or wet her.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dee

She's woken up and eaten and drank a little bit. She's still very wobbly though which is worrying me a little.

I had her near a heater so I figured she would be fine but I guess I better go get a heating element for her as well. -Thanks ^.^

Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

I hope one of the more experienced people will be on soon. I know you want the air about 73-78 Fahrenheit, and that it needs to be warmer for a week after a hibernation attempt.

She needs light 12 hours a day and heat to prevent hibernation.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Get a thermometer for her cage as well, a digital one with a probe. You can get them pretty cheap at a store like Walmart. You want to know what the actual temperature in the cage is, so you can adjust it and see what temperature she's comfortable at. She definitely sounds like she needs some more warmth, so a CHE set up would be good. Make sure you get the correct items - CHE bulb (100 or 150 watt are most common, and not a reptile heating bulb that gives off light), thermostat (not rheostat), and a lamp that's rated for use with CHEs (should say so on the box). Until you can get the heating set up and thermometer, try turning the heat up a couple degrees, if you can.

She could also be wobbly from lack of food/nutrition. You need to make sure she's getting food into her, whether she's eating on her own or not. Hedgehogs go downhill very quickly without food. Since she's not eating, you'll need to syringe feed her. See if the vet has Hills A/D or Carnivore Care. The first is for sick dogs/cats, so even if they're not an exotics vet, they should have that.

If you can't get either from a vet around you, get some baby food - chicken, turkey, peas, carrots, apple/applesauce and sweet potatos are all popular with hedgies. Try to get 12-15 mL into her over the course of the day, you'll probably have to do it in 3-5 feedings. The rule of thumb I was told was to wait the same number of hours for the number of mL you get into her - so if you get her to take 3 mL, you can wait three hours until the next feeding. Make sure she's getting enough fluids too, either by mixing water into the baby food/Hills/CC, or syringing her water separately.

Good luck with her, and keep asking questions as needed! It might help though, if you stick with this thread for the time being, unless another specific issue comes up - it helps to give advice when you can see the situation from the beginning and what's been tried so far.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dee

Thanks for all the help, bought her a CHE and she's eating her food again as long as its soaked in water. She sleeps on my bed (which is heated) during the day so sunlight isn't an issue(I'm home before it's dark and switch on the lights anyway) She's a lot more active and she's even figured out how to get out of her cage, clever monkey. ^.^
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

You let her stay on your bed all day while you're gone?

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dee

Yup it's a habit my other hedgie got into when he was young because I was ill when I got him and he snuggled up on the bed. There's never been any accidents, because they just sleep til I get home. Pindsvin(my other hedgehog) is sleeping in the sitting room since I got the new hedgie incase he annoys her, but he's pretty happy to sleep next to the dog on her bed instead. I hate the idea of leaving an animal in a cage/hutch for the whole day when I'm gone.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

You should really put your hedgie in her cage. It's not cruel, it's her home and she's safer there. Not because no accident happend that it couldn't happend in the future. It would also be easier to regulate the temparature in the cage (with a CHE or heathing pad)

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Didn't you say there was a chance she was pregnant? You really don't want to risk her giving birth in your bed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in