3 Hibernation attempts mixed with splatting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hugglechi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2020, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 Hibernation attempts mixed with splatting

hello, I have a 3 year y/o boy who I believe is trying to hibernate. The doctor has no clue what is going on but, to play it safe he gave us amoxicillin. During October 8th, my boy went limp and cold, he started gasping or opening his mouth wide and closing it over and over again. He made faint squeaks when he was going on, I thought he was dying in front of me. Ive had him hibernate on me once in the past and he wasn't like this at all. I didn't have my stethoscope on me either so I wasn't able to hear his breathing, I called emergency and took him. He started waking up slowly as we were on the car ride over. Since the Emergency visit, he's had one when it was cuddle time while the room was 78 or so and while we were sleeping. I am fortunate enough to be a light sleeper but I might not have the same luck again. Today he started splatting in the corner of his room, in front of me. He never did that, I know this boy like the back of my hand and splatting is done in secret and never in front of mom, its too embarassing and she will just poke my toochy and make me insecure. I am not sure if open splatting is just a slow transition to hibernation. I don't want him to pass while I'm sleeping or away, please help!
Tyetheemt likes this.
Hugglechi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Curious. You have a stethoscope. I assume that means some time of medical training. I AM A PEOPLE NURSE NOT A VET. Thinking as a body system and WORST CASE scenarios....Hypothalamus TIA can cause theromo dysreguation. After these episode did they have any periods of abnormal balance or gait, facial ticks...etc. Any residual postdistal types of behavior? The gasping also makes me think cardiovascular. Maybe things arnt going round and round. I ive had to perform rescue breathing on one of my hogs, maybe learning it is helpful. Normal human pocket pedi and adult would work.

Keep him next to your skin in your shirt as much as possible. also temp check your tank as far from the heater as possible.

Keep us updated. Hope you can sleep well.

Last edited by Tyetheemt; 10-15-2020 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Additional thought
Tyetheemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

So sorry to hear that this is happening! I would try to record one of his sessions and show it to an experienced hedgehog/exotic vet. I suspect it could be a lung issue, where he cannot breathe very well, hence the splatting, and then he is more tired than usual. I would say to monitor his eating, drinking, excrements, and exercise for anything out of the usual. Again, I am not a vet, so these are just suggestions. Good luck! I have a good vet recommendation if you are in CO
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyetheemt View Post
Curious. You have a stethoscope. I assume that means some time of medical training. I AM A PEOPLE NURSE NOT A VET. Thinking as a body system and WORST CASE scenarios....Hypothalamus TIA can cause theromo dysreguation. After these episode did they have any periods of abnormal balance or gait, facial ticks...etc. Any residual postdistal types of behavior? The gasping also makes me think cardiovascular. Maybe things arnt going round and round. I ive had to perform rescue breathing on one of my hogs, maybe learning it is helpful. Normal human pocket pedi and adult would work.

Keep him next to your skin in your shirt as much as possible. also temp check your tank as far from the heater as possible.

Keep us updated. Hope you can sleep well.
Yes! I am a vet assistant, working on my license to be a registered vet technician. I am not familiar with exotics all that well. But I do know enough to see what is fishy. I was thinking it was cardio issue or maybe a deficiency in something. Hes cold in his feet sometimes so I'm thinking maybe iron? Or something who knows. I am planning on recording it and sending it to my vet, maybe get some blood testing. I try to check his Mucous membranes for color to come back on his gums or paw pad but they are pale so to its hard to see. He's always been pale. He did it earlier today, he bounced back real quick. He didn't ball up and was back to normal after I was warming him up and massaging him to spit out some of his food. Normally when they hibernate they ball up and never come out of it but he never did. So hibernation is out the window. He walks normally afterwards, he actually gets pissed off afterwards like he always tries to bite me. He eats, runs, drinks then sleeps normally afterwards. He's picked up more weight, he's actually on the highest weight atm. He's usually 330 now he's 346, not too bad. His tongue isn't blue when he does it, or at least not that I can see. He's just limp and movable, like putty in the hands. But he will react and pull back when you pull his arms or touch his face. He will blink when perform like a reflex test on his eye, so it doesn't seem like a neurological disorder so far. I'm hoping it's not like his blood isn't getting enough oxygen and mostly getting co2 or something complicated like that. But I do know this is internal, not a simple hibernation attempt now.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky_Floof<3 View Post
So sorry to hear that this is happening! I would try to record one of his sessions and show it to an experienced hedgehog/exotic vet. I suspect it could be a lung issue, where he cannot breathe very well, hence the splatting, and then he is more tired than usual. I would say to monitor his eating, drinking, excrements, and exercise for anything out of the usual. Again, I am not a vet, so these are just suggestions. Good luck! I have a good vet recommendation if you are in CO
Hello! Yea I just read this after his session, next time for sure and I'll post it on here just in case someone with a hedgie in this situation also has similar signs and sessions. Hes drinking and eating normally, running everyday! Hes gained weight instead of losing it. But I do notice hes been pooping in his bed area which before was like a huge no no. Bed area and poop area were like on separate sides of the room. Also I believe he might be eating it too so maybe its a deficiency nutritionally. I feed him blue buffalo adult cat mix but left in water to go moist cause he doesn't have much teeth left. He's been acting odd so I am on a mission to figure it out! I'll keep you updated if anything comes up!!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugglechi View Post
Hello! Yea I just read this after his session, next time for sure and I'll post it on here just in case someone with a hedgie in this situation also has similar signs and sessions. Hes drinking and eating normally, running everyday! Hes gained weight instead of losing it. But I do notice hes been pooping in his bed area which before was like a huge no no. Bed area and poop area were like on separate sides of the room. Also I believe he might be eating it too so maybe its a deficiency nutritionally. I feed him blue buffalo adult cat mix but left in water to go moist cause he doesn't have much teeth left. He's been acting odd so I am on a mission to figure it out! I'll keep you updated if anything comes up!!
I feed my hedgehog that as well, with some water in there too and she has been sick for a while, but is getting better on antibiotics, so I don't think your problem is with the food
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in