Hibernation symptoms - warm environment? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation symptoms - warm environment?

Hello,

My little Shakespeare is acting quite weird these days. I believe he did a hibernation attempt a week ago when my furnace broke down (he got wobbly and lethargic and his belly was cold). I caught it fairly quickly and had a space heater while it was being fixed and he got back to normal.

Now, he's back to acting kind of weird. His belly is slightly cold, I see he wobbles a bit and he sleeps out in the open (not in his blanket). He seems to be dragging his legs a bit. His cage temperature is reading at 74.5F.

I just put the heater back on to provide him with a bit extra warmth cause I'm a bit confused. He doesn't really have any vet nearby and I don't have a car, so it's not the best option.

Can anyone please try to enlighten me? My little Shakey worries me. He's about 3 years old.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7088.jpg (267.6 KB, 10 views)
smalltownlassie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

UPDATE: with the heater, his cage reads at 78.5 and he's currently eating. Good sign I assume!
smalltownlassie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

Is he still wobbly?

I've just had a friend who had this same sort of thing only theirs stopped eating too. But they needed a vet and something
injected every 2 hours for a few days but a vet has to do this so kept in vet. But now isnt as wobbly. Just working on food and getting her to sleep in her normal place again.

I dont really know what was wrong she never said. But just keep it in mind incase.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure, maybe he isn't feeling well? I know there are online vets that you can skype or video call and they will help you if that's helpful for you.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Keep his cage warmer for a couple of weeks at a minimum. It is fairly common for them to become more sensitive to temperature changes after they have had one attempt. Monitor his weight and how much he is eating, also listen for any respiratory changes. URIs are known to pop up in hedgehogs who have had recent hibernation attempts.

The problem with hibernation attempts is it has an impact on their immune systems. While they will appear to be perfectly normal right after you warm them up. But a couple of weeks later a health issue like a URI will start to manifest itself. Monitor and try to make a plan now of what you would do if your hedgehog needs a vet.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in