Hibernation or sick? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation or sick?

I’m pretty new to owning a hedgehog. So far she’s been fine but about two days ago she just stopping moving around much. She also didn’t eat of drink. I tried to wake her up at night but she wasn’t very responsive at all. I’ve read it could be a hibernation attempt, and I thought this could be it because there was a drop in the temps tire here recently. I have put her in a towel on a heating pad, then moved her back in her cage with a little heater turned on. She’s definitely more responsive but still won’t get up. She will only drink if I give it to her in a dropper and won’t eat. I’ve been trying to warm her for five hours. Could she be sick or does it just take a while to bring a hedgehog out of a hibernation attempt?
Basil01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

It does sound like a hibernation attempt. It can take several hours for them to recover, in which time they probably won’t eat or drink a whole lot. Do you have a ceramic heat lamp set up for your hog? It’s like a heat light except it doesn’t emit light and it’s great for warming the entire air space, whereas a heat pad only warms the bottom. This is a super simple tip for the future so as to avoid more hibernation attempts! But, as she’s still warming, keep an eye on her, and if she doesn’t respond within 24 hours, I’d recommend a vet visit.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

You should be warming her up with your body temp not a heat pad. If the heat pad warms her up too fast she can go into shock which isnt good either!

If her belly feels cold its definitely a hibernation attempt!

This is why che's (ceramic heat emmiters) on thermostats are great because any dip in temp isnt as likely cause any effect on the hedgehog since the thermostat will be keeping the air of the cage warmed up and they won't notice sudden cold.

HOWEVER you have said its been like this for 2 days! Generally you only have 48 hours before they are dead.. when they hibernate they are in a tight spikey unresponsive ball! The fact its been 2 days, it might not be hibernation, and if she's still taking water it could be an illness.
If she's still not warm now (roughly 5 hours after you posted this) then go to a vet and get her checked.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

If its been two days she needs to go to a vet. It could have been a hibernation attempt or there could be something else going on but regardless, she needs a vet. if shes dehydrated they can administer a fluid shot; going this long with little food and water is not good. She needs a vet asap.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions, but my hedgehog did not make it through the night. She got sick on Friday afternoon and died during the night on Saturday. I think it may have been something other than hibernation. One of you said they curl into a tight ball, but she never was, and sometime during the night she died blood dripped out of her nose. She wasn’t hurt or dropped, so I have no idea what happened.
I started warming her on my belly but moved her to the heating pad later, which was put on warm. I tried to heat her up very slowly. At the best point after this started she tried to crawl forward and just flopped onto her side.
Basil01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

I’m so sorry for your loss. Hedgies have a way of hiding illness extremely well; I hope you find comfort💜
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in