Hibernating or just tired? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
L&B

Default Hibernating or just tired?

So when I went to clean my hedgehogs cage this morning, I realized that his heat lamp wasn't working, and he was all balled up and didn't seem to want to wake up. I moved him to his pet carrier in a warmer part of the house till I fixed the heat lamp, and he has been warmed back up to about 76 degrees F. for almost 2 hours, but still hasn't woken up.
He normally likes exploring, and will take any opportunity out of his cage to run around, even if it is in the middle of the day, so I am getting a bit worried.

He seemed fine around 9:00 last night, and though I am not sure when his heat lamp started giving trouble, the heat was turned up pretty high in my apartment, so his cage shouldn't have gone below about 70 even without the heat lamp. He also did eat at least a little yesterday, and ate normally the day before.

He is still breathing normally and will ball up tighter when moved and then relax back down again, but just hasn't woken up.

I haven't had this happen before. Is he trying to hibernate, or just sleeping really deeply? The closest decent vet that treats hedgehogs is almost two hours away, so I don't want to make him endure the car ride if I don't have to.
L&B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

That definitely sounds like hibernation to me, if you can’t wake him up within an hour of a hibernation attempt he needs a vet. How is he doing now? Can you feel if his belly is cold? Try warming him with your body heat.
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
L&B

His belly was cool at first, but feels normal now. He started moving around a little bit a few minutes ago (and is making noises again), but still doesn't seem to be fully awake.
L&B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

It’s a good sign that he’s up and moving. Keep trying to warm him up, it sounds like he’ll come around. Hibernation attempts can effect the immune system and increase chances of respiratory infection, and are often followed by another attempt so keep a close eye on him the next few weeks, try to keep him nice and cozy.
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Even if he if feels warm, you could try skin to skin snuggling for 30-45 minutes. It's prickly, I know, haha. I did it with my hedgie when he tried to hibernate.
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

He might be hibernating. Have you had a chance to feel how warm his underbelly is? If it is cold, you should warm him up. If you're going to warm him, make sure you don't put him under hot water or put him in front of a heater. You should stay calm. What you would have to do is, to keep your hedgie close to you and give him a blanket if he has one, or let him snuggle in a towel that came fresh from the dryer. If after about 10 - 15 mins of warming and he still isn't behaving normally, you should get him to a vet ASAP. If he has hibernated for about 72 hours, he may not be able to be revived, so act quick.

NougatTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in