Possible hibernation attempt:(( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ria

Default Possible hibernation attempt:((

You tell that the hedgehog is cold by checking their stomach yes ??

I was changing Holly’s litter, and she wasn’t huffing like she normally does. So I picked her up and her belly felt cold !! So I checked what the temp was in her cage and its 28 Degrees Celsius. Which it has been for the past week and shes been fine !!

Shes now cuddled up on my chest trying to get her warm. I dont think shes tried hibernating but cant tell as shes my first hedgehog and this has never happened.
She did wake up once I picked her up, and I believe if she was hibernating she wouldn’t have ??

I dont actually have a heat set up yet. I was looking into it but I need to wait a while before I have money to buy it. As the heat che seems like its going to cost more than I have right now
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Update shes all warmed up now. And seems to be normal.
This is how she is laying now.

As soo as I have the money I’m getting the che set up. But thats gonna be another few weeks then I have to wait for them to deliever it.
And going to keep her cage up at 30 degrees Celcius from then on and going to turn the heating up higher to keep keep her room warmer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9AB1F6CD-1CFE-40FF-8AF2-92633FD7224A_1538678656235.jpg (91.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you have a proper lighting schedule?

Old 10-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Yes I do. 12 hours every day of light and dark. Light goes on and off at the same time every day
Old 10-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's good you slowly warmed her up with your body heat. Could it be the temp fluctuates during nighttime?
Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

No it doesnt

It happened this afternoon around 6 as she was only in the early stages of it.
It was fine all last night. And this morming I checked her tummy this morning as well as she seemed a bit less huffy but she was warm.

I was chanin her litter at 6pm and she wasnt huffing at all, and this seemed weird as she always huffs when I fiddle in her cage, so I had to check her and she was baled up in a tight ball, And this isnt really normal so I picked her up, And her belly was cold and her feet were so cold as well. So first thing that came to my head was heat her slowly with my body heat so just held her to me. Before posting to see if it was an actual hibernation attempt. Because if it is then heating needs to go up soon.

But shes running on her wheel like normal so she seems okay.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Will have a che set up as soon as possible until then turning the heating up
Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

It sounds like a hibernation attempt, I’m guessing you caught it pretty early on. That temperature is definitely warm enough, it could be her light schedule. Is she near a light source like a window or anything so she can get day light and night? Sometimes that change thrown them off. Some hedgies like it warmer than others but I wouldn’t go about 30 unless she does this again.
NefelibataPisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Continue to keep an eye on her and look out for any behavioral changes. Make sure that you purchase a thermostat to regulate the temperature.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sometimes my Yuki can can feel a bit chilled (on his belly or feet) when I pick him up but he isn't balled up or attempting hibernation as far as I know and his cage temp is 25-26.5C. Sometimes I put the air con in the room if it starts getting too hot or humid so maybe it is making the floor surface of his cage cooler, it more likely happens after he's been walking in his litter tray... Do you have a window open or any draft that hits her cage? This could also be making her a bit chilled. Try covering the sides of the cage with blankets to stop drafts from hitting it, this is what I do and it helps a lot.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in