Possible hibernation attempt:(( - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 02:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ria

She is near ish to the window. The main light is always on during the day. With the sunlight (if any) coming through the window. She has a lot of light as the cage is uncovered. The light scedual is fine.

In the rooms shes in theres no windows open. The door is pulled shut but theres a little gap for keeping the air more circulated so the room wont get stuffy. But I dont believe their are any drafts.

Her cage is covered at night, but not during the day as not having it covered gives it more light in the day.

She was balled up when I lifted her hide up.

My mum ordered the che set up for me last night so that I can get it faster. We have a thermostate, new theremometer, ceramic heat bulb and the dome holder on order now.

I’ll keep an eye on her, and make sure everything is normal, so far it has been normal.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Definitely a hibernation attempt. But seems very odd with the light schedule and those temperatures. I couldn’t believe it when I changed the Celsius to Fahrenheit. That’s 82 F. That’s pretty warm. Peanut had an attempt but we had the heat around 73, which we realize now is well too low. We now stay around 79-82. But I would also be careful you don’t have it too hot in there. Our little guy got hot and started splatting around 83 degrees
swimbaitstud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ria

I honestly dont know why she did but she hasnt since the heat is 28-29. Sometimes its 30 through the day but I turned down the radiator when it hits 30 because I think 30 is slightly high.

Once I get her CHE set up my mum is turning the heating back down. But I might turn the radiotor down a bit as well, it will be easier to check the temperature as well as changing the thermometer (dont think the one I have works very well)

Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

30C is a bit high. They can handle it but you don't want her to get used to having such a high temp as will be difficult to maintain during winter. Sometimes in the summer Yuki's cage would naturally reach 30C but I'd use ice packs to lower it to 27C, max 28C.

I try to keep my boy around 26.5C as the optimal temperature now. During the winter it is difficult to maintain this using an open wire cage (we don't have central heating here). But changing to a wooden vivarium so hoping that will make a big difference in retaining heat and keep the temp more consistent during winter.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ria

I dont quit know how its reached 30.
I sleep in the same room and it doesnt feel that hot. There was only one night it felt really hot and I turned the radiotor setting down and never turned it back.
The house heating is set to 26 and as well so I know I have the radiator on more but it shouldnt be that high it doesnt feel that high eaither.

Most the summer her cage said 30 but we had a really hot summer. And the heat made me sick at 30 so It cant actually be as high as 30 because the heat isnt making me sick
Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Maybe it is your thermometer not being quite accurate as you mentioned you don't think it works well.

Yeh I heard the UK had a hot summer this year, quite similar to Japan by the sound of it. It may be that you don't feel so sick now as in the summer, as it won't be as humid now. Also the heat was different, in the summer it was natural heat and now the high temperature is from central heating ~ or the thermometer is just slightly off ><

Also did you say before you cover some of the cage, this might be making it hotter inside the cage from the rest of the room perhaps?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ria

I cover it at night but only to block out light so that her cage is dark. But the bars arent really covered so the air flows in and out all the time.
And they arent covered during the day.

I put the thermometer in the fridge for 30 mins, and it went down to like 10 and then when I picked it up to take it out It went right back up to 30. But Ik that the rest of the house isnt as warm as my room. Because the house temp is 25. My brothers rooms are cold as their radiators are allways off the other radiators around the house are low on like 1 or 2 so downstairs the thermometor shouldnhave only said 25/26. Where as mine is on 4 to keep my room a bit warmer but Ik its not that much warmer to downstairs and it says its 30 in my room ALL the time. Which doesnt seem right.

I get sick if the temperraure is 30 or over, weather its natural heat or central heating. Its been like this my whole life. I’ll find out soon, got a new one and better one coming so I can find out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in