Strange behavior , I really need advice - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange behavior , I really need advice

Hello! I have a 3 year old african pygmy hedgehog. She's a 500 g female.
Right now, I have a problem with her because since last week, she changed her behavior.
Firstly, we saw her sleeping outside her house which is unusual but I said that she might want something different. But she continued like that, there were around 25 degrees C in the room those days. The temperature dropped suddenly a few days ago, around 20 degrees C and she started to eat less and to stay curled into a ball. Nothing too strange until now because I had the same matter in the first year I got her and she was about to hibernate. The temperature is stable now, there are 23 degrees C in the room and I 've also put her 2 covered bottles with hot water so she can be confortable under her pillow. Unfortunately, she is still acting strange, she hasn't ate today and she preffers to stay outside the pillow or she stays inside but not curled, instead she "stays like a pancake ", with her belly stick to the ground... If i get close to her or if i put her outside the cage, she starts to walk and look for hidden places, so it doesn't look unusual. I also saw that she is breathing quicker.

I don't know how I could help her, all those symptoms are not enough clear for me and going to a vet in here would just make the things worse because they are not used to treat such exotic species.

What do you think it could be? Just hibernation signs? I'm concearned now because she didn't eat today...

Thank you for your time!
NatureHouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are the temperatures you are giving the temps for the room or the temps inside her cage? The temp in the room and the temp in the cage often vary.

It sounds to me like she may be cold and trying to hibernate. If you do not have a thermometer for inside her cage I highly recommend you get one so that you will know the exact temperature in her cage.

She may want to stay under the blanket because it is warmer in there and the rest of the cage is too cold.

Do you also have a heater set up with a thermostat? The thermostat will automatically turn the heater on if the temperature falls below the temperature you set it at so that there will never be a danger of her getting too cold. The cage temperature will stay the same all the time.

Here are a couple links to heating threads to help you out just in case:

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...implified.html

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...ease-read.html

Hope this helps,

Jill

LuckFupus458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the information.
However, today I started to think is not a hibernation problem... There are 24 in her cage, under the pillow.
She's walking if i put her outside, being active and searching. But she is walking and after a while she puts her lower abdomen on the ground and does somehow like cats or dogs are sometimes doing, rubbing on the ground. Also now i saw her scratching, but I don't see mites. She only ate 3 pellets today...
I'm going to look now for some hedgehog symptoms for constipation, maybe that's the problem (or maybe is just because she haven't eaten). And that fast breathing it's also a thing to be taken into account.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

It sounds like it's time for a vet visit. Anytime they go off food or have a change in behaviour they should go see a vet.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know I should take her there... But you see, here vets have no experience with hedgehogs and I may came back home from the vet without her. It's very frustrating.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

I also tried to feed her with superworms, but she is still not interested. Today I am going to give her wet cat food in order to atract her somehow.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Even a vet with little or no hedgehog experience would be better than not seeing a vet. The issue is that after 24 or so hours of not eating, or eating very little, fatty liver disease can start and that is very hard to treat. You need to at least start syringe feeding her right away to make sure she gets enough food.
Yukidama's mama likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Tomorrow is the only day a good vet can see her and after the consultation and a X-ray, we'll find out exactly where is the problem. Meanwhile, I will continue doing what you say, hoping that she will accept to eat something.
It could be pyometra or some sort of abdominal infection or maybe a serious otitis that is too painful to let her act normal and makes her feel dizzy...
Whatever, I will find soon.
Thank you again for the information!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm glad you've scheduled her a vet appointment, let us know how it goes, hoping she'll be ok.

But like Nikki's said, if she won't eat on her own you need to start syringe feeding her, there is a tutorial on here if you need guidance on how to do it. They should eat a minimum of 20mls a day to stay healthy, otherwise quickly deteriorate.
nikki likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

My hedgehog stayed 4 days at the vet: one ultrasound and blood analyzes for the liver and the pancreas.
She has big problems with the liver, it's very fat, 2 parameters are highly increased. So, the vet hydratated her and put her on liver medicine and also we totally changed her diet (just boiled chicken liver+carrot and dried shrimps). Plus Hepatiale for 20 days and some Viyo (probiotics + protein).
I feed her by syringe and I administrate the water like that too. I don't really understand why she doesn't eat and drink on her own...
Hopefully she will and her liver will heal soon.
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in