Hedgehog Central banner

Temperature dropped even with CHE?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shinydistraction 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a little worried. When I woke up this morning, I checked my thermostat and it read about 72-73 degrees, and my other thermometer (in the coldest corner of the cage) was reading at 71. I have my thermostat set to 78 degrees default and the bulb turns on once it gets below 77. Even with my whole heat set up, and the bulb on, the temperature was quite low. I usually have my ceiling fan on at night set to low, but the temperature has never dropped below 75 with it on.

I checked Meeko and he gave me a strong huff, which is a good sign but I had to rush to work so I couldn't check his belly temp. is 71 low enough for him to attempt hibernation? It just worries me that I thought that my whole heat set up was okay (100W che bulb with ceramic socket heat lamp and inkbird thermostat) and during the night it the temp still got too cold for comfort.

#3 ·
It's a wire cage, about 40 x 20 inches. When I checked in the morning I put my hand underneath the bulb and I could feel the heat coming from it. It should be working, it's brand new. I'm wondering if I should place a piece of fabric on the cage so that it doesn't catch a draft, the reason I haven't done that yet is because I'm worried about the fabric starting on fire or something from the bulb.

#4 ·
Rather than placing a blanket on top, try insulating the sides and bottom of the cage. I found insulating foam boards at home depot and attached them to the back and sides of my C&C cage. I would have put them on the bottom too, but this was way after it was already built and I would have to to do some disassembly to make that work. I only left the front side and top of the cage without the additional insulation. The difference is amazing. I've never had an easier time keeping a steady temp in the cage. It never seems to be more than 1 degree off either direction from where I have it set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.