Trouble after a bath. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2017, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Trouble after a bath.

I've had my male hedgehog for a little over a year, so he's around 15 months old. He's generally a very grumpy hedgehog, quills and hissing almost every time I handle him until he's been in my hands for a few minutes, and I've been extremely patient with him in trying to handle him and get him to bond with me. He's usually okay when I try and hold him, but he does not like my husband. I gave him a very shallow bath earlier, and he was a little frantic, but nothing that worried me. I asked my husband to hold him in the towel to dry him off and he's become completely unresponsive. He has NEVER acted like this, I can see him breathing, but he is balled up and not moving at all. We tried to give him some meal worms because he LOVES chasing them and eating them, but there's absolutely NO movement. Our apartment is in the upper 70's and the bath was warm. I have no idea what to do or what happened. Any help or suggestions are very appreciated.
panchito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your hedgie must have gotten a chill and went into hibernation. Warm him up on your belly and before you put him back in his cage make sure hes moving normally and warm. I hope your little guys okay!
Nutmeg The Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

How is he doing now?
sunae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hedgehogs need a warm temperature to live in and if it's too cold, it will go into hibernation. If your hedgie is starting to hibernate, he will feel cold to the touch, and will not eat or drink. He also may act kinda depressed. That's another sign of hibernation.

If he is entering hibernation, cuddle him for a while and after about 45 minutes, he will start to act normally again.

-Nougat
NougatTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in