Unresponsive? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shinydistraction
  • 1 Post By Norah
  • 1 Post By Matvei
  • 1 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unresponsive?

Tonight at 1am by boyfriend woke me up to come check on our hedgehog girl. She was curled up next to her running wheel. I touched her and she wouldn't respond. That freaked me out because she ALWAYS hisses at us when we touch her. I picked her up and it took about 20 seconds for her to start unballing slowly... and then, just like that, she was ok. I checked her belly and it was warm, her cage temperature has been at stable 74 degrees and she's never done anything like this before. Now she seems to be perfectly fine, hissing at me and all. Do you guys think she might have just been sleeping? It was very strange and now I'm so worried...
Norah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

You might bump that temperature up a degree or two. The way you described it sounds like a hibernation attempt. It could have been that she was sleeping, but hogs seem to be light sleepers from my experience.
Norah likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
You might bump that temperature up a degree or two. The way you described it sounds like a hibernation attempt. It could have been that she was sleeping, but hogs seem to be light sleepers from my experience.
Thank you. We put her cage next to the heating and elevated it a bit. Getting a cage heater on Tuesday, this freaked me out. She seems to be fine now, even though she's in her little house asleep... I'll keep checking on her tonight.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have a lighting schedule?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtleSquirt View Post
Do you have a lighting schedule?
Yes, lights off at 8pm and back on between 7am and 8am. I check on her every day at 8pm, sometimes I wake her up to have some bonding time but then she usually goes back to sleep and is most active at 2am. At 5am or 6am I check on her again, clean her cage and give her a feet bath if she needs one and that's it. I read that hedgehogs are creatures of habit and this seems to be working nicely.....
nikki likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, guys, this is weird. It's almost 1am and she did the exact same thing as yesterday. She was curled up in the same spot and didn't react to being touched. We picked her up, she "woke up", unballed, started hissing. Same scenario as yesterday. Now I think this can't be hibernation attempts anymore, her cage temperature is now at 77 degrees. She is warm to the touch, her belly is warm, she's not slow or anything. She is drinking and eating and pooping normally. What's hapenning?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

It sounds like there is something else wrong with her and you should take her to the vet. If her belly is warm, it's not a hibernation attempt.
Norah likes this.
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

How are you heating the cage and how are you determining the cages temperature? The thermometer should be one that has a probe in the cage. You can't rely on the thermostat for the room. The thing about "warm belly" "cool belly" is that it's very subjective. A hibernation attempt is still what that possibly was.

Either way, this sounds like it is indeed time for a vet visit. Unusual behavior is generally a sign that something is wrong.
Norah likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
How are you heating the cage and how are you determining the cages temperature? The thermometer should be one that has a probe in the cage. You can't rely on the thermostat for the room. The thing about "warm belly" "cool belly" is that it's very subjective. A hibernation attempt is still what that possibly was.

Either way, this sounds like it is indeed time for a vet visit. Unusual behavior is generally a sign that something is wrong.
She does have a probe in the cage. We were also thinking if the thermometer is malfuncioning... I'll get a second one to be sure. The room is prety warm tho.
I will probably try to take her to the vet then, thank you.

It's 2:30am now and she's being her normal hedgehog self. Very active, very curious, not very friendly It's just that in every other aspect she seems perfectly fine, that's what's confusing to me. But anyway, vet it is.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just a quick update - I believe it was a false alarm. She just sleeps on her wheel every night from roughly 1 - 3 am. I don't think she's sick or hibernating - her cage temperature is stable, she's curious, active, eats and drinks and poops nicely. Thank you guys for your suggestions. If I notice her behavior changes again, I'm taking her to the vet immediately (the problem with vets around here is that not many people have hedgehogs and not many vets know how to handle them.... When we bought Wednesday, we took her to what is considered the best place in a nearby town and the vet was really honest with us and said that she didn't know much about hedgehogs ... and that she could help with stuff like mites, but that's it. Got some new addresses though, so I guess I know where to go next. It's just a really long drive )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in