Help please im a new hedgehog owner, i think my hedgehog might be trying to hibernat - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Artemis-Ichiro
  • 3 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help please im a new hedgehog owner, i think my hedgehog might be trying to hibernat

This weekened i was giving my hedgehog a bath like i normally do, i use johnson baby shampoo, toothbrush, i set her in the bath tub with luke warm water (i use my wrist to test to make sure its not to hot for her) when i was cleaning her quills with the baby shampoo she was drinking the water around her which had the soap in it. After the bath i took her out like normal and dried her with a towel like usual, then after i set her in her cage and she did eat a little and then she laid down and went back to bed (shes very active during the night not the day) I didnt come home until the next morning, and saw that her heater was on low (70 degrees) when i noticed her behind her wheel sleeping instead of in her trunk, she was laying open on her stomach (quills facing me) and as i picked her up she didnt hiss like she normally does when being picked up for the first time and she also curled into her ball and wouldn't uncurl at all, normal shell hiss and kinda huffs and moves then shell start to open a bit but she didnt this time. I held her and put her in front of a heater for a few min and also turned the heater to 75 degrees to warm the room up to 75, then i placed her back in her cage underneath a old shirt of mine in her trunk. She also hasnt eaten or drank any water since after her bath which was saturday. Please help im very scared and worried about my hedgehog.
bksampson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure her cage is warm, around 78, make sure her belly is warm, if not put her on top of your belly and warm her up. If she hasn't eaten or drank you must begin syringe feeding her and since she might be dehidratedmyou
Might want to take her to the vet for subq liquids.
nikki, Lilysmommy and bksampson like this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Going along with what Artemis said, you have to keep the cage temp above 70 degrees. Not to sound rude or anything of course. Don't panic if they are having a hibernation attempt, you can warm up your hedgie by putting it in your shirt or sweater, which you can do for about 45 minutes and if it isn't ok by then, use a heating pad. Any heating pad will do, and you should keep a close eye on it for about 30 minutes and if it isn't ok by then, you can give it a bath. The temperature should be a bit warmer than lukewarm but not hot. DO NOT RUSH THE BATH PROCESS. Star a bath as how you usually do.
Summary:
1) Give it direct body heat.
2) Use heating pad.
3) Give it a bath.
Maia0505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's not a good idea to do a bath at any point around a hibernation attempt. Getting them wet is only going to make things worse and it's never recommended to use a bath to help with a hibernation attempt.

If the hedgehog is not warm & responsive after 1 hour of warming with body warmth or a heating pad on low, then they need to go to the vet immediately for supportive care.

All that aside, I agree with Artemis's post.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Never ever give an animal that isn't 100% healthy a bath. This will just make them child and make the situation much worse.
bksampson likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for your help, once i was able to warm her up a bit she started to act normal and seems to be okay, she seems to be eating and drinking a bit now. I'm now investing in a heating pad to put underneath the cage instead of a space heater is there any good heating pads for hedgehogs? or will any animal heating pad work?
bksampson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

No hedgehogs should not have heating pads as their source of heat. It easily burns them and they need the air to be heated. You'll find it a lot better to invest in a CHE connected to a thermostat. Make sure to get a thermometer for an accurate reading of the cage also.
Lilysmommy and bksampson like this.

Tags
health, health concern, hiberation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in