Hedgehog tried to hibernate? Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog tried to hibernate? Help!

Hi. I need some guidance / help. Yesterday morning when I wanted to change food and water for my hedgehog I noticed he didn't eat or drink at all. I waited a bit and decided to try with his favourite food. He was responsive but sleepy so I decided to feed him, when I gave him a small piece of cooked meat he tried to bite it but was too weak to do it. Suddenly I realized that maybe he was trying to hibernate due to low activity, avoiding food and water. Checked his belly and it was colder than usual. I put him on my chest for two hours while the room was getting warmer. After two hours he seemed more responsive and I used syringe for water and feeding, he started eating a bit more and even peed a bit but didn't poop.
Today he seems better but still weak and had a colder nose. Doesn't refuse water and food and raises his quills which I found as a good sign. Also he ate small amount of hard food. Currently he is on my chest, on sunlight.
He has trouble with movement, he can rotate himself but has trouble moving, like he is too weak to stand on his own; and when he sleeps or he's just still he lays on his belly.
Is it possible that he is fine but needs more time to wake up completely? Help!
P.S. Should note that I come from country where vets don't know know to treat hedgehogs and/or refuse to do so.
John94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a heating and lighting system in place? What temperature is his cage? Are there any drafts? In the meantime I would put on a big, warm hoodie and put him between your skin and the hoodie. If he did attempt to hibernate this is the best way to warm him up. Hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

In the future you need to figure out a way to provide him with vet care. It's unfair to him if he's ill and you can't get him the care he needs. Even a vet that doesn't have much experience with hedgehogs is better than no vet at all in many situations.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello and thank you for answering! Temperature and light are okay now. There was a sudden drop in temperature a few days ago so that could be it. Think draft was the problem, gonna fix that asap. I couldn't find online how long is normal for hedgehog to look weak and sleepy after this situation? Read he should be up and active after few hours which isn't the case.
About the vets... I got my hedgie for birthday three years ago and I guess my friends thought vets are trained to take care of them.
I contacted some new, huge petshop that has their own vets so maybe I will be lucky this time; last time some vet who wanted to help me, advised to use some dog spray for parasites, luckily I read online it's deadly for hedgehogs and I found an alternative.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

What type of heating system do you have and what light schedule do you have?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oil heater for my room that I turn on when I see the temperature Is lower than it should be, during the colder days it's almost always on.
Light schedule is from 8am till 10 pm.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Try using a thermostat for the heater so you don't have to worry. When you turn it on and off by guessing you are creating probable a big variation on temperature in the cage and that can cause hibernation attempts. Also, once they have the first they are more likely to have one in the future.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Forgot to use it last few weeks, thanks. I read they are prone to hibernations after first time. I am curious if his behaviour now is normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in