Not sure if hibernation or whs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2017, 03:32 PM  

Default Not sure if hibernation or whs

Hi all, my hedgehog pickles was found yesterday by me with a very cold belly and showed signs of hibernation. After seeing this i laid him on my stomach all day until I went and got him a heating pad to lay on. Before the heating pad he was very shaky, but after it he can walk a little but it looks like something is off concerning hi locomotion. I am very fearful this may be whs and I am seeking advice as to what this may be, and if I should bring him pickles to a veterinarian. I love Pickles dearly and I would love any assisstance provided. I have made a video and linked it below of him walking. I am glad to produce more videos/pictures if requested.

Last edited by Mustafa80; 01-29-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: forgot to attach video
Mustafa80 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 03:43 PM  

WHS is something that happens gradually. It seems like your baby is still wobbly from attempting to hibernate. Do you have a heat source for your hedgie? What temperature is the cage and the house?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtleSquirt View Post
WHS is something that happens gradually. It seems like your baby is still wobbly from attempting to hibernate. Do you have a heat source for your hedgie? What temperature is the cage and the house?
The house is at around 70 degrees but I've since went and bought him a 100w light and a heating pad to put under his cage. I'm just worried because his balance seems off and I have no idea what I ought to do. He is my truest companion and I am moved to tears at the thought of him being ill. He has gotten a little more active but still very shaky and it seems as though the instability in his gait is from both of his hind legs. Also, when is it safe to assume he is not attempting to hibernate?

Last edited by Mustafa80; 01-29-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added information

Old 01-29-2017, 04:18 PM  

70 degrees is too cold for a hedgehog. It's best for the temperature to be from 73-78 degrees. Heating pads are not recommended for hedgehogs because they need the air to be warm. They need something like CHEs. You also need to get a thermometer for the cage to get a reading of the cage temperature. The cage temperature and the house temperature differs. You mention 100w light. Does your hedgie have a light schedule?

You can tell your hedgie isn't hibernating if they're responsive to your touch like huffing and puffing.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:23 PM  

Quote:
70 degrees is too cold for a hedgehog. It's best for the temperature to be from 73-78 degrees. Heating pads are not recommended for hedgehogs because they need the air to be warm. They need something like CHEs. You also need to get a thermometer for the cage to get a reading of the cage temperature. The cage temperature and the house temperature differs. You mention 100w light. Does your hedgie have a light schedule?

You can tell your hedgie isn't hibernating if they're responsive to your touch like huffing and puffing.
He doesnt have a light schedule, but his cage does receive sufficient sunlight during the day. Could you reccomend me any CHE's? I will also be sure to turn up the temperature, thank you.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM  

Sunlight itself isn't alone. Get a desk lamp and a timer and make sure your hedgie gets 12-14 hours of light daily! Ceiling light is okay also. It's absolutely crucial they get light.
As for CHE's you can get the 10" porcelain dome by Flukers off amazon and look for CHE in amazon, but make sure they ONLY emit heat and not light.
An example of a CHE would be: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHO7C..._t3_B0002DHO6S

Make sure to get a thermometer for the cage itself. An example is:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digit...P0XBNQKRKYR83P
Old 01-29-2017, 04:38 PM  

Quote:
Sunlight itself isn't alone. Get a desk lamp and a timer and make sure your hedgie gets 12-14 hours of light daily! Ceiling light is okay also. It's absolutely crucial they get light.
As for CHE's you can get the 10" porcelain dome by Flukers off amazon and look for CHE in amazon, but make sure they ONLY emit heat and not light.
An example of a CHE would be: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHO7C..._t3_B0002DHO6S

Make sure to get a thermometer for the cage itself. An example is:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digit...P0XBNQKRKYR83P
alright thank you so much for the resources and information you have been abundantly helpful. I am so glad you have replied to me, I truly appreciate it. But one more question, is it okay that he is wobbling like shown in the video? It seems he is extremely lethargic as when I usually put him on the floor he is straight to sniffing and exploring however now he lays in this strange way that is just flat, usually if he lays down hes sorta curled up, you know? I'm just making sure everythings okay and am wondering if a vet visit is necesarry.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM  

Hm I'm unsure of that. Try bumping up the temperature of the house and keep him warm. After you give him a proper lighting schedule and heat source see if it still persists. If it does continue even after that I suggest taking him into the vet. Keep a close eye on him for now. Just have the ceiling light on for now also.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 PM  

Quote:
Hm I'm unsure of that. Try bumping up the temperature of the house and keep him warm. After you give him a proper lighting schedule and heat source see if it still persists. If it does continue even after that I suggest taking him into the vet. Keep a close eye on him for now. Just have the ceiling light on for now also.
will do, also is there any reason to worry about him laying and sort of to the side? he isnt laying down like usual as he is totally uncurled and leans to one side, not totally on his side as ive seen some hedgehogs that have whs. I can produce photos if necesarry.

Last edited by Mustafa80; 01-29-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: more information
Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 PM  

edit: he has now progressed to not even being able to stand himself up, he isnt eating or drinking and he seems to be doing nothing at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in