Hibernation? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation?

I've had my hedgehog for three years and he's been fine up until now. He will be four in January and I think he has been attempting hibernation. I bumped up the temp on his heating pad and he is personally used to warmer temps. I read that the lighter matters too but since I've had him he slept in the morning (and I only have one window no that bright) and was awake and active at night (I like it dark but he didn't ever care) but he recently has been sleeping alot, not using his wheel (there are no poops in it at all) and almost not at all active. I've also noticed some weight loss and some stumbling from him. I was worried it was WHS but hedgehogs are born with that and he was fine till now. I've been making sure he eats and drinks everyday and taking him out like always so he doesn't get depressed or lonely. He poops less but he definitely pees pretty normal. I also started leaving a light on in the morning and leaving it dark at night, but he still always sleeps. I heard helping them out of hibernation is a slow process. Is that true? Am I doing something wrong? He is making very little progress and I need some advice.
Baconthehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Judging by your post it sounds like you use a heating pad to keep your hedgie warm. Heating pads don't heat the air and provide inadequate heat during the winter months. They can also cause burns. Overall, they're not really recommended.

It is very important that you figure out a way to keep the air in the cage warmer by using either a CHE or some kind of space heater. There is a great topic on this here:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html
It is also important that you get a consistent light schedule. This means twelve hours of light a day, 12 hours of dark a day. When we turn the lights on ourselves the amount of light will vary day to day, so I recommend a lighting timer to keep it consistent. They are quite cheap and give you serious peace of mind.

It sounds like your hedgehog is chilled. He isn't technically attempting to hibernate yet, but without a proper heat and lighting setup he could very likely progress to a full fledged attempt. The appetite loss, reduced activity, wobbly gait, and reduced pooping all point to the cage not quite being warm enough. As they get older they tend to get more vulnerable, so it's especially important now that he's getting older.

As for WHS, it's definitely more common to see it in hedgehogs younger than 2 years old, but it can be a problem in hogs of any age.

Good luck, and I hope that he's toasty warm soon.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Light does matter even if they're sleeping during the day, which is normal for them. You need to provide 12-14 hours of light during the day for him. He could be becoming more sensitive with age and the shorter days now could be affecting him.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay thanks
Baconthehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in