Is my hedgehog hibernating? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Is my hedgehog hibernating?

Hello! I got my first hedgehog yesterday after doing all the research. He was fine last night, running around and exploring. He was eating and drinking and seemed relatively happy. But he's been sleeping in a ball all day today. He moved positions when I went to class, but besides that he's just been curled in a ball. If I get too close he hisses and moves around a little but thats it. Since I've only had him a day i'm wondering if he's just sleeping a lot due to the stress and only being 9 weeks old, or if he's possibly trying to hibernate.
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

If he's hissing at you then he's not hibernating. Do you have a heat set up for the cage and a thermometer in it to check the temperature? Both of these things are needed to keep your hedgehog healthy and to prevent a hibernation attempt.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Heat

I don't have a heater yet. The breeder I bought him from never used them so I wanted to see if he would be okay at the 73 degrees we keep the house at. The issue is a have a plastic tub, and I've read that you can't use ceramic heaters. I don't know what my other options would be.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I keep my hedgie in a tub too. I keep him in my office which means he has his own room. I have a thermometer in the room next to his tub which I monitor, if I feel the temperature dropping and the thermometer confirms it, I close his door and put his heater on. He has an oil heater with built in thermostat so the room doesn't overheat.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Sleeping

Could he just be sleeping a lot due to the stress of a new environment? I know he was up and walking around during the night because some of his food was gone and the wheel was used. When I woke up though he was back to sleeping in the same spot.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

My hedgie is only awake from about 7pm, I don't see him during the day at all unless I wake him up to clean his den or give him a bath. It's natural for a nocturnal animal to sleep during the day.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I was awake doing work until 1am though and he was still asleep. When I woke at 8am he was in his same spot. He was awake though just balled up burrowed under his wheel.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bramble only comes out when his light is off and it's reasonably dark. If he's in the vicinity of his wheel he crouches under it if I switch his light on but he sleeps in his cave otherwise. Is it perhaps not light that's bugging your little one?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

It could be the light. He's still new so I'm going to wait a day to handle him, but tomorrow ill turn the lights off earlier in the night and see if that works. Thank you
Old 10-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to put a thermometer in the cage so you can keep track of the cage temperature.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in