Hedgehog Central banner

Is my hedgehog hibernating?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  nikki 
#1 ·
Hello! I got my first hedgehog yesterday after doing all the research. He was fine last night, running around and exploring. He was eating and drinking and seemed relatively happy. But he's been sleeping in a ball all day today. He moved positions when I went to class, but besides that he's just been curled in a ball. If I get too close he hisses and moves around a little but thats it. Since I've only had him a day i'm wondering if he's just sleeping a lot due to the stress and only being 9 weeks old, or if he's possibly trying to hibernate.

#3 ·
Heat

I don't have a heater yet. The breeder I bought him from never used them so I wanted to see if he would be okay at the 73 degrees we keep the house at. The issue is a have a plastic tub, and I've read that you can't use ceramic heaters. I don't know what my other options would be.

#4 ·
I keep my hedgie in a tub too. I keep him in my office which means he has his own room. I have a thermometer in the room next to his tub which I monitor, if I feel the temperature dropping and the thermometer confirms it, I close his door and put his heater on. He has an oil heater with built in thermostat so the room doesn't overheat.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Sleeping

Could he just be sleeping a lot due to the stress of a new environment? I know he was up and walking around during the night because some of his food was gone and the wheel was used. When I woke up though he was back to sleeping in the same spot.

#6 ·
My hedgie is only awake from about 7pm, I don't see him during the day at all unless I wake him up to clean his den or give him a bath. It's natural for a nocturnal animal to sleep during the day.

#8 ·
Bramble only comes out when his light is off and it's reasonably dark. If he's in the vicinity of his wheel he crouches under it if I switch his light on but he sleeps in his cave otherwise. Is it perhaps not light that's bugging your little one?

#11 ·
Help please

I got my hedgehog a couple weeks ago this morning I woke up and checked on her got her out for a few minutes and noticed that she was taking more time to uncurl and when she did he belly was cool not cold but cool I wrapped a warm shirt around her and held her after a little bit she wanted to walk around so I let her she walked completely fine but her belly was still cool I put a heating blanket under her cage and a warm water bottle with her and her belly feels warmer then it did this morning but not really warm she is hissing at me when I get close to her as usual so she is acting herself now but can I do anything else to help her and btw I keep the room at a constant temp of 70f and she has been fine until now but I read me having the light off yesterday and just using the light outside could of caused it.

#12 ·
I got my hedgehog a couple weeks ago this morning I woke up and checked on her got her out for a few minutes and noticed that she was taking more time to uncurl and when she did he belly was cool not cold but cool I wrapped a warm shirt around her and held her after a little bit she wanted to walk around so I let her she walked completely fine but her belly was still cool I put a heating blanket under her cage and a warm water bottle with her and her belly feels warmer then it did this morning but not really warm she is hissing at me when I get close to her as usual so she is acting herself now but can I do anything else to help her and btw I keep the room at a constant temp of 70f and she has been fine until now but I read me having the light off yesterday and just using the light outside could of caused it.

#14 ·
No I use a space heater and I had it set at 70 because she seemed comfortable and she stayed warm and I turn the light on between 730-745 and off around 530-600 because she gets up to eat but the day before it happened I just used the natural light because I was going to be gone all day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.