Hedgehog Central banner
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nikki 
#1 ·
I have my two hedgies, Kiwi and Avocado. Every time my boyfriend takes care of them, the youngest one, Avocado: 6 months old, gets a really cold belly and this last time, my boyfriend said she was wobbly when she walks. I know this is a hibernation attempt, and I know I need to not let them go over there... but my boyfriend is their "dad" and that is an issue we need to handle..
He said Kiwi recently felt colder too, but in the past she has been alright.

My question is, I know these attempts are AWEFUL for their health, but does each attempt do something damaging to her over all health?... from what I understand, this is her 3rd attempt. Is she going to have brain damage? Do I need to do something special for her from now on... I really fear for my babies life!

#2 · (Edited)
This post has information you seem to need. It mentions that each hibernation attempt lowers their immune system and makes them more vulnerable to becoming ill. It also says that once a hibernation attempt happens, it is likely that it will happen again.

The link also mentions possible reasons for why your boyfriend's place is causing hibernation attempts. Sudden temperature drops can also trigger hibernation.

Some might say it could be the sudden/constant change in environment, depending on how often and how long you leave them with your boyfriend. The change can be very stressful by itself, depending on the hedgehog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.