Possible hibernation attempt - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Possible hibernation attempt

I cant really tell for sure, but something seems a bit off about my hedgie guy. He is normally pretty grumpy during the day and doesnt like to be woken up...but something seems a little off about him. He doesnt seem like he is interested in stuff when I wake him up, and he tries to go back to sleep.

I cant be 100% because he is normally grumpy during the day, and he is still being hissy and stuff when you pull off his blankie...but I tried to get him to walk around and he just wouldnt. He wanted to go back to sleep.

It has been a little cool out lately. I had his heat lamp off because we had a heat wave, but today seems cool. The temp in his cage says 70. I put the lamp back on and put a heating blanket under her cage on medium (its plastic).

Do you think he is trying to hibernate? He wont really let me feel his belly, he is too grumpy...but i will try tonight.
Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

It went from like 90 out to around 75 in like 24 hours so I am concerned about the quick drop in temp. We also usually keep his cage at around 78.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

70 is too cool and that is too quick of a drop in temperature. You need help from someone who is more experienced and that person is not me. Definitely take him to he vet.

~Paige~
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

He seems okay. Like I said, I cant even be sure it is a hibernation attempt. I know it is too cool. I feel really guilty that I didnt turn his lamp on sooner, I didnt even realize that it had gotten that cool so fast. He has never tried to hibernate before in the 3 years we have had him.

I dont want to take him to the vet and stress him out if I dont need to. He is pretty gumpy during the day (total different hedgie at night) and doesnt really allow for much handling, especially strange people. So for now I am going to try to warm him up and keep an eye on him. Any other tips on how to warm him, and what to watch out for would be helpful.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My hedgie's temp actually dropped to 70 once too. I freaked out but nothing happened. Since then I have been extremely careful about that. Just wrap him in fleece like a snuggle sack or something. Hold him against you. Layer as much as possible. You could put him in a snuggle sack with a blanket and/or some towels bundled up around the snuggle sack. Make sure to keep him up against you, though. Rolling up the bottom of your shirt to make a little "bowl" is probably the best option. Put him in the "bowl" and cover him with blankets/towels/anything that would keep him warm. If he gets calm enough, try to touch his belly.

~Paige~
Old 09-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

His temp is 78 now. He is still acting a bit unusual (maybe slightly lethargic. Not so bad...he is still huffy and comes out of his ball headbutt your hand when he is angry lol. But, he didnt run on his wheel last night, and it looks like he barely ate. He is still drinking though, and peeing and pooping.

Should I up the temp? I have a very strong feeling he was too cold, now Im thinking it may have started around 2 days ago when it was cool out. Then it got super hot for a day, and then cool again. I dont think its a full on hibernation attempt, but I dont want him to get to that point.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've really already said as much as I know. Maybe you should wait for a more experienced person to comment. I hope he turns out fine. Best of wishes

~Paige~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in