Acting off? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Acting off?

I've only had my hedgie for 3 days (first time momma) but I've already pretty much figured out how he normally acts and when he wakes up etc. Tonight he's not acting himself. It's almost 1am so he should be up and moving either eating or on his wheel. It's a little chillier in my room and his cage tonight. It's around 71 degrees when he normally likes 73-74. It's hard to keep the heat lamp on since the bulb isn't a heat emitter it's one of those red ones. The previous owners told me they had a heat lamp so I didn't bother buying any of that but I've discovered that it isn't the right one the bulbs here are $60 or higher so I have to wait till payday this week.. I had him out and he would just lay there only exploring a tiny bit. I'm going to take him out again in his snuggle sack and snuggle him. His belly doesn't feel cold though it's pretty warm I'm just worried and scared. He's 2 years old already and I want him to last as long as possible. Sorry if I post too much I'm just a huge worry wart
SarahBella97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure he's just fine. It's only his third day with you. This may just be him getting used to the new routine. Can you use a space heater or turn up the house temperature until you can buy a new bulb?

Also, I have a funny story (in retrospect) for you. Hopefully it helps you as much as it helped me.

I bought my first dog, a golden retriever puppy, when I was 16, with my own very hard earned money, and against my parents' wishes. I'd wanted a dog my whole life but my parents wouldn't allow it because they were both working a lot and I was in school full time. I was being home schooled now though so I would definitely have time for a puppy. I brought him home without permission and his silly golden puppy face won them over instantly.

The first two days were amazing, despite potty training, teething, waking up 400 times a night to check on him, crate training, all that puppy stuff. There were no accidents in the house, he loved his crate, he was already grasping "sit". And then the third day hit and everything was wrong. He wasn't being receptive to basic training anymore, he kept peeing in the house, he decided he wasn't hungry when I knew he was, he was suddenly scared of the crate. It was horrifying. My mom, who works with overwhelmed new mothers with babies, usually twins, sat me down, laughed at me for what felt like ages, looked me right in the face and said "You're acting like a new mother! You have the baby now, and because you're new to this you're overreacting and inventing problems where there are none. Calm down, take a breath, and remember that no baby (or animal in this case) can be totally accustomed to life in a new place in a mere three days! Things will change, there will be the occasional oops where progress will go backwards instead of forwards, and that's natural. Now go clean up that dog puddle on my carpet and take that puppy outside more often!"

So remember that while you two get settled in. It'll take time for your boy to get used to things, and sometimes what seemed like progress will take a step backwards, but it will take another few steps forward again soon enough. Just stick with it!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you that actually helped a lot thank you so much inventing problems is most likely a thing I'm doing since I just want everything to go smoothly and perfect being a first time hedgehog owner lol I'll definitely try to not overthink

Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I still over think things even now, and i have had my hedgie nearly 4 months I frequently have to tell myself im just being paranoid, and as long as he's pooing/weeing/eating/got no injuries etc. he's probably okay. everyone has 'off' days occasionally (i assume animals do too?!)
glad im not the only one though
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

You're definitely not the only one
Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

However, unexplained behavior changes that come about suddenly usually require a vet visit. However in this case, it's only been 3 days. So that in itself is a reason for behavior changes as he adjusts to his new normal and you learn it.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes definitely. As soon as I can though I am going to bring him in for a wellness check just to make sure he's all healthy
Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

My hedgie also really messed with my head (and still does!) by changing his behaviour and habits out of nowhere every so often.

I bought a CHE bulb at an online store that specializes in breedingsupplies for chicken farmers. The bulbs are exactly the same, but cost not even a fraction of the bulbs sold by exotic petstores. Maybe that's an option?

@Finnickhog: thank you for the story! It's really comforting (eventhough I am not a newbie momma anymore ).
Aurora81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in