Post hibernation attempt question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2016, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Post hibernation attempt question

I had my windows open today airing out the house I didn't think much of it because it was sunny and warm, tonight when I went to get Hedwig out of her cage I immediately knew something was wrong I quickly discovered she had starting hibernating I immediately put her under my clothes go her warmed up she woke up took some mealworms and is now normal sleeping on me. I feel absolutely horrible (was in tears) but my question is how long do I wait before placing Hedwig back in her cage, I have the heaters cranked and will be going to buy a heating something (suggestions?) For her tomorrow as I never want her or I to go through that again I just don't want yo put her back in there out of fear but I can't stay up all night with her out...
Soinlovewithmyhedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Once she's warm & moving around normally (or mostly normally), you can put her away. Just make sure the temperature is around what she's used to, maybe a degree or two higher. If you don't have a digital thermometer for her cage already, I would put that on your shopping list for tomorrow. For a heating set up, I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter set up - you need a CHE bulb (100 or 150 watts is usually good), a thermostat, and a lamp that's rated safe for CHE bulbs (should say on the box).

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

One additional item to note. Monitor her for a while for any health changes. While they often recover just fine and seem normal, we have seen quite a few over the years that developed a URI, or other health issue within a month or two of a hibernation attempt.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

My hedgehog is 6 months old and had her first hibernation attempt 2 days ago. I was able to get her woken up and warmed up and after about 30 minutes she was no longer wobbly and was eating normally. She has been eating and drinking normally but she does seem to be active like normal(she usually runs all night long). Since the hibernation attempt she just gets up to eat and drink water and occasionally moves to a different sleeping spot. She is responding to me and her cage is at about 75 degrees right now and her little belly is warm and toasty. How long til she should be active again? I'm really worried about her!!!
Alice1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Please check the date on a thread before posting on it, this one is from 2016. Please start a new thread with your question.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in