Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hibernation (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Post hibernation attempt question (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134617)

Soinlovewithmyhedgie 03-30-2016 04:20 AM

Post hibernation attempt question

I had my windows open today airing out the house I didn't think much of it because it was sunny and warm, tonight when I went to get Hedwig out of her cage I immediately knew something was wrong I quickly discovered she had starting hibernating I immediately put her under my clothes go her warmed up she woke up took some mealworms and is now normal sleeping on me. I feel absolutely horrible (was in tears) but my question is how long do I wait before placing Hedwig back in her cage, I have the heaters cranked and will be going to buy a heating something (suggestions?) For her tomorrow as I never want her or I to go through that again I just don't want yo put her back in there out of fear but I can't stay up all night with her out...

Lilysmommy 03-30-2016 06:48 AM

49 Attachment(s)
Once she's warm & moving around normally (or mostly normally), you can put her away. Just make sure the temperature is around what she's used to, maybe a degree or two higher. If you don't have a digital thermometer for her cage already, I would put that on your shopping list for tomorrow. For a heating set up, I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter set up - you need a CHE bulb (100 or 150 watts is usually good), a thermostat, and a lamp that's rated safe for CHE bulbs (should say on the box).

Kalandra 03-30-2016 08:31 AM

One additional item to note. Monitor her for a while for any health changes. While they often recover just fine and seem normal, we have seen quite a few over the years that developed a URI, or other health issue within a month or two of a hibernation attempt.

Alice1988 02-07-2018 01:58 PM

My hedgehog is 6 months old and had her first hibernation attempt 2 days ago. I was able to get her woken up and warmed up and after about 30 minutes she was no longer wobbly and was eating normally. She has been eating and drinking normally but she does seem to be active like normal(she usually runs all night long). Since the hibernation attempt she just gets up to eat and drink water and occasionally moves to a different sleeping spot. She is responding to me and her cage is at about 75 degrees right now and her little belly is warm and toasty. How long til she should be active again? I'm really worried about her!!!

nikki 02-07-2018 09:17 PM

Please check the date on a thread before posting on it, this one is from 2016. Please start a new thread with your question.