Che problems - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Che problems

My Che seems to not be working. Right now it says the temperature in the cage is about 70 degrees. I just had to hold one of my girls from what i think was a hibernation attempt. The dial on my Che is set to about 78 degrees. I dont want to touch it because that is the best temperature for both of my girls (they are sisters and housed together and if you are a new hedgehog owner and reading this you must be very careful if you are going to do this.) A few minutes ago I put a heavy, warm blanket on top of part of their folded fleece. I have no idea what to do. The Che should be on right now.
jngy slate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

They emit heat pretty strongly when they're working. Try hovering your hand just below the che bulb. If it's working, it will feel warm. If that doesn't work, hover your hand right near the dome the bulb is in. They get really hot too. If you don't feel anything at all it's likely not on. At this point I would touch it to see if it's cool, but I'm not always very smart so you may want to touch it with something like a plastic straw and see if the end warps.

If it still seems cold, you'll have to unplug everything and plug it all back in, just in case something came loose. Unscrew and rescrew the bulb too. If that doesn't do it, either the bulb has died or there's something wrong with your dome.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE TO TOUCH THE BULB! I unscrewed a warm one a few days ago with a piece of fleece and the fleece actually melted to the bulb. I didn't even know that was possible, but that's how hot they can get.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Che is not on user FinnickHog. I guess i am going to change the temperature on my che to see if it cuts on. I did not want to do this because both of my hedgehogs prefer different temperatures and right now the Che is set to cut on at a temperature that seems to work for both of my girls.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah if it's not on you'll have to change the temperature setting. Hopefully if you bump your thermostat up a little it will end up being 78 degrees again, and not warmer.

Did you try unplugging your thermostat and plugging it back in, and then setting it right where you had it? Sometimes that will fix the problem.

Does your thermostat have a temperature probe that goes in the cage? If so, try cleaning it off with a damp cloth and moving it around a little.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone have any heating suggestions besides this bogus Zilla temperature thing setup? I do not want to risk it not working again. (im not changing the temperature on it, I am just going to assume that it is broken, because it should cut on if the temperature in the cage goes below 78 degrees). I will be buying a new lamp for it as soon as possible, but I have only had this che lamp for about a year, and I live in Texas so it is probably only turning on in the winter time. I cannot imagine the bulb burning out that quickly. I also have no idea how long the Che has not been working, both of girls seem to wobble around a bit when they walk for a few weeks now, but I thought, the Che must be working, i did not want to change the temperature on it to see if it would cut on because of their delicate temperature balancing thing. I am thinking of offering both of them some low sodium chicken broth and a little peanut butter, can I get everyones thoughts on that.

Last edited by jngy slate; 01-27-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

No if you only use it for part of the year it really shouldn't be the bulb. Another member had a defective dome recently, it could be that. Try plugging a regular light bulb into your dome and then plugging that straight into the wall to see if it turns on.

Sadly the zilla thermostat is one of the better ones out there.

This one:
Amazon.com : NEW DIGITAL CHIP - BAH-1000DC Reptile Thermostat With DC Chip Technology : Pet Habitat Thermometers : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : NEW DIGITAL CHIP - BAH-1000DC Reptile Thermostat With DC Chip Technology : Pet Habitat Thermometers : Pet Supplies
is supposed to be pretty good, and I know a few people who only use these on their reptiles, so if you want to try a different brand of thermostat, that's what I'd suggest.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

The zoo med one is going to be almost exactly like the zilla one, as they're direct competitors in the same market. It might be fine, and it might be crap. Though if Nikki uses them, they're probably fine.

The Jump Start is only good for heat mats or heat pads that go under your tank. It won't properly adjust to heat from above and I don't know if it will pick up heat from a che properly at all.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

As for the wobbliness, check for the symptoms listed in this sticky here: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...bernation.html

If that seems likely, you need to warm them up, but slowly. Warm chicken broth would probably help. I'd skip the peanut butter. They should lick the broth up like it's water. You can also try sticking them in your shirt for a while. In the long term, you may need to bump up the heating in your whole house, or use something like a space heater to keep them warm.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

As far as the wobbliness goes Finnick I meant that they were either permanently wobbling or that they were too cold. They are not too cold right now and i know how to warm them up from hibernation. thank you though Does anyone else have their Zilla set to 80 degrees? It kind of freaks me out to put it at that temperature, because if the thermometer actually started working properly again, my Che would probably never shut off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in