Che problems - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Okay good. I can't help but worry when it comes to hibernation. Sorry about that. Keep them nice and warm in the meantime and hopefully someone with the zilla stops by to help soon. I know people have mentioned that it's not always very accurate, but since you've always had it set for 78 degrees, I can't see why it would suddenly change...
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

If you have already determined the thermostat is definitely bad, I apologize, however, if you suspect but haven't tested... Move the thermostat's probe to a different spot to see if it turns on. Move it outside the cage for a couple of minutes to allow it to cool, if it still doesn't kick on, then you know its something with the thermostat.

I've encountered the bad dome as well. Very first CHE setup I received (came with a rescue). The owner said it worked great to heat her cage. I got it, later had a sick hedgehog who needed the room warmer. I though cool, I have this CHE setup, I'll give it a try on his cage. Apparently it must have gotten damaged at some point because while it heated, it didn't get hot. Not even warm enough to increase his cage temp from 75 to 78. I tossed it to the side and thought all of you were nuts for liking these .

PS: I did buy a new dome and everything else works fine. I have more than one now and mostly use them for the sick who need more heat and for quarantine cages.
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

When we test our thermostat we lightly touch the thermometer with an ice cube so temp drops fast. It should turn on right away. You could also consider picking up a space heater for backup in the meantime until things get sorted. I am using a space heater permanently right now due to have having young kids with curious hands. Those bulbs are crazy hot so be careful while messing with them
Dumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in