Force hedgehog to exercise - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Charlotte.the.hedgehog
  • 2 Post By c/oHedgieCharlotte

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Force hedgehog to exercise

Morning, everyone.

Has anyone else had the experience of basically being their hedgehog's personal trainer?

Here is the story. (First, thank you for your collective knowledge. I've been following this blog since August when I adopted Charlotte at 8 months old. She wasn't socialized by her previous owner, and this blog has helped to answer the many questions I've had. It has been a long road, but now she crawls all over me and will go to sleep on my stomach while I'm reading during the day. (Don't get me wrong - she still gets huffy the majority of the time I go to take her out of her swank fleece-lined Ferret Nation (181) mansion.

I have been diligent with the weather change to make sure Charlotte is always at the right temperature and has a healthy light cycle. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed upon waking that she hadn't eaten or run on her wheel (no poops). I checked on her and she was fine. I threw some kibble her way, she ate it up and went back to sleep.

This persisted for a week, me always taking the kibble out of her bowl and putting it in the tube that leads to her heated hut.

Finally, when week two started, we got into this routine of me waking up early, putting her food, water and wheel in the bathroom, making sure the heat is on and the light is off. I grab a cup of tea and my phone and sit in there with her, and....off she goes! Squeaking happily, exploring the bathroom, hopping on her wheel, pooping healthy normal poops, hopping off and crawling all over me, stopping for a quick bite and/or drink and repeating the whole process.

Yesterday we stayed in the bathroom for THREE hours until she seemed like she was losing steam. And today, same thing. Guess where I am writing this post from? Yup - the bathroom, in the dark, with Charlotte tearing up her wheel.

I've posted this under hibernation, but I don't think this is a case of aestivation...maybe just the winter blues? Any insights, thoughts? I love having more bonding time with Charlotte but I don't think I can keep doing this!

Thank you!

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1619.jpg (322.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by c/oHedgieCharlotte; 01-17-2016 at 09:51 AM.
c/oHedgieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

You said something about her 'heated hut?' Is her sleeping area warmed up more than the rest of her cage? If so it could be that she doesn't want to leave the warmth of her hut for the cooler temps outside to run and play. If the entire cage is the same temp it may encourage her to come out and play.
c/oHedgieCharlotte likes this.
Charlotte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Yes - very possible

Thank you for your reply!

I have a heat source outside her cage as well - but now that you brought that to my attention, I bet it feels warmer to me than her.

Such a simple solution!

I'll up the temp and check with a thermometer and go from there!

I appreciate it!!!
c/oHedgieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exercise, hibernating, light, personality, runner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in