Concerned!! :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Concerned!! :(

My hedgie acts totally fine but for a few days now her belly seems cool not really cold but not really warm. Is this a sign of hibernation? She is still roaming around and running on her wheel.
paulme20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is the temperature in her cage? How are you heating it? What's her light schedule like?
hedgielily likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Put things she can snuggle in fleece, fluffy shirts anything so she can sleep in and keep warm. Most likely hibernating or maybe she was just cold
Xogabii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xogabii View Post
Put things she can snuggle in fleece, fluffy shirts anything so she can sleep in and keep warm. Most likely hibernating or maybe she was just cold

I've seen you post this a few times now and I just want to say that if the cage isn't kept at a warm enough temperature then adding fleece etc to the cage isn't going to help. The hedgehog will get warm in the fleece, just like a person in a bed, and isn't going to want to come out into the rest of the cage if its colder. The air in the cage has to be kept at a constant warm enough temperature. Just adding fleece isn't going to help.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

My cage is set at 72 and the breeder that I got her from said that they had their house and the cage set at 70 for all their hedgehogs and they have never tried to hibernate. Her light schedule is the same. She runs like crazy during the night and eats a ton of food and drinks a lot of water and lays under her little hut that is made of fleece from about 8am-10pm. I feel like I am just overreacting but I just don't want her to try and hibernate.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Eh, she was probably just cold. If she does however go into hibernation take her and warm her up. Wala! Good as new.
Echo_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's more complicated than wala good as new. Hedgehogs often get sick after a hibernation attempt. You want to just avoid it to begin with. And even if they don't try to hibernate, if they're too cold you'll wind up with a sick hedgehog anyway.

72 degrees is about the lowest a hedgehog can go, it's typically not a good idea to keep them that low unless you have a hog that clearly prefers cooler temps. Even then, I'd still keep it a degree or two higher to compensate for temperatures changing. How are you heating the cage? Do you have a thermometer in the cage so you know exactly what temperature the cage is at?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo_21 View Post
Eh, she was probably just cold. If she does however go into hibernation take her and warm her up. Wala! Good as new.
Please be careful with the advice you are giving out, it can be dangerous. Hibernation is a very dangerous event in a hedgehog's life. It can cause a URI, make them more prone to hibernation in the future and it also lowers their immune system. There is a lot more to it than "warm her up, wala, good as new". Hibernation attempts can be fatal.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not using a thermometer or heating device but our thermostat in our house just heats the upstairs where she is and it is set at 72.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can't rely on what the house thermostat is set at. It measures the temperature at the thermostat and turns the heat on and off based on that. The temperature in the cage can be wildly different. Especially if his cage is on an outside wall, near a window or door, or neat a vent. Just an an example, my hedgehog and the house thermostat are in the same room. It's set to 77. When the temperature outside dropped, even with my two CHE's going the temp at night would get as low as 74 until I bought more insulation to put around the cage. That's a 3 degree difference with proper heating and the house already set to be pretty darn warm. Just imagine if I didn't have two heat lamps controlled by their own thermostat going. I could easily have lost my hedgehog in the middle of the night.

You need to get a thermometer (they're cheap and easy to find) asap so you know what the cage temperature is at all times. It's not an optional accessory. You also need an appropriate heat setup for your hedgehogs cage. This will not be as cheap, but your hedgehog needs warm, stable temperatures. This isn't a negotiable thing. Your hedgehog will either get sick or even die without this.

You do have options. One way that people heat their cage is with a space heater. This will heat the whole room, but if you're ok with that might be a more economical way to start. You'll need a thermostat with a probe to go in the cage to connect it to.

Your other option would be a ceramic heat emitter. This will be a more costly start up, but it's less expensive to run in the long run. You'll need a CHE bulb, a dome rated for CHE bulbs (if it's not rated for a CHE bulb, it's a serious fire hazard), and a thermostat with a probe to go in the cage to control it. Depending on the size and type of your cage, you may need more than one bulb and dome. However, if you get the right thermostat, you can control multiple domes with just the one thermostat. This option heats only the cage and is nicer to your electric bill.
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in