Brand new hedgehog mom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brand new hedgehog mom

Hi everyone,
My boyfriends mom just got my a hedgehog yesterday and I'm really not sure what I need for it. I went into a pet store today and the girl that worked there recommended I get a reptile habitat lighting lame with a 25W light bulb... is this what i should be using? I also have a space heater currently going towards the hedgehogs cage. Im very nervous about her being too cold and not having the right things for her. Please help!
FrostyOPhedgie likes this.
LindsayJenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

This breaks down your heating options. After reading it you will hopefully have a better understanding of what you will need to heat your cage.
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Put warm things in her cage, like fleece and a snuggle sack just to be extra safe.
Xogabii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default All that you need for a hedgie

Hi there! I'm a new hedgie owner too!

There are many things that hedgehogs like, and need.

For heating and hibernation prevention,
I use a "Blue Spotted" 60 watt ceramic heat emitter. (Blue spotted is the brand name). For any lamp, you need a clamp. To help me control the heating, I bought a Zoomed thermostat. Frosty (my hedgie) likes the temperature of 20 degrees (Celcius), but most hedgehogs like 21 up to 27 degrees c.

For food,
get some cat or hedgie food. It has to be dry food, low in fat (5-13%), and high in protein (30-40%). I use Royal Canin Light Dry Cat Food, and 8-in-1 hedgehog food. Both are available at most petvalus.

The cage,
My hedgehogs cage is 72x72cm (almost 2feetx2feet). I use fleece at the bottom of the cage (instead of hamster or small animal bedding). In the litter pan, I put 2 big pieces of paper towel. It works great! I made a C&C cage. Here's a link that discusses C&C cages: http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/about-candccages
They're commonly used for guinea pigs, but hedgehogs need at least 4 feet of space in their cage.

Items and toys!
Items -
Litter pan: You should have a litter pan. I use a small plate/pan, but plastic containers are fine as long as it fits under the wheel. (Hedgies use the washroom when they run.)
Sleeping bag: HAS TO BE FLEECE or fleece-like polyester. Here's a video on how to make one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXiLdCDMmcY
Hedgies like to go inside and cuddle up.
Sleeping box: A shoebox is fine and put polyester or fleece inside. Cut at hole and watch your hedgie cuddle up.

Toys -
(From most important to least important):
Hamster wheel: Hedgehogs run even more then hamsters, therefore, they also need a wheel. Hedgehogs grow to the size of almost a guinea pig, therefore, the wheel should be 10.5" to 12" big. I use the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel: http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.co...ket-wheel.html (also available on amazon.com and amazon.ca for a slightly greater price), but Silent Spinners are great too!
Toilet paper roll: Your hedgehog will love this toy, my hedgie likes it more than the wheel. She puts her head inside and starts smacking on her chew toys, as if she's playing baseball. Its so cute!
Ball with bell inside: Hedgehogs love rolling balls around. The bell inside is optional, because it can get noisy and isn't recommended if you're a light sleeper (because hedgies are nocturnal).

Hope this helps! If you want photos of more info, feel free to ask.

- FrostyOPhedgie
FrostyOPhedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

8-in-1 Hedgehog food is crap, the box it comes in is probably just as nutritious as the "food' in the box.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also the silent spinner is the worst wheel you can buy.
nikki likes this.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am also a new hedgeie grandma, Lily is my daughters. We use the silent wheel and so far so good, however its only been about 3 weeks. We feed Lily Rachael Ray cat food chicken and rice, Purina One Kitten food as well and meal worms. She LOVES this food. We also have her an igloo that goes right in her cage. That we put some fleece in in it for her to burrow and snuggle. We have a heater as well. Lily's favorite thing are the fleece snuggle bags. She LOVES them My thing is trying to figure out what bedding she will like. So far we used Yesterdays, News and its LOUD. Next we will try CareFresh, however that one looks really messy....any thoughts on that?
hedgielily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

You are using a silent spinner? The one with the white part by the stand and the colored translucent half? Bad wheels... Especially if it's your daughters hedgehog.. I'll try and find the picture of one that was used.

Here's the link... Warning it may not be best to view with small eyes. https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...t-spinner.html

Last edited by twobytwopets; 12-31-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Adding link
Old 12-31-2015, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Uh oh, that dang wheel was what the breeder told us to get and that thing was like 40 bucks! Whats the other one again, and thank you for tell me! <3 We will order/go buy the new one asap!

Last edited by hedgielily; 12-31-2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: hit enter too fast
hedgielily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

The best wheel on the market is the Carolina storm wheel. The gentleman that makes them is a member on here, LarryT. His ad is at the top of the page, right under the new post section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in