Hibernating or sick? please help!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hibernating or sick? please help!!

Hi, I recently got my little guy, Quilliam. I have only had him about two weeks and everything had been going very well until two nights ago. I came home and took him out of his cage to let him roam the house like I usually do. After a while I couldnt find him so I went looking and found him balled up under a dresser. When i took him out, he had a cold belly and was wobbling but was able to unball. I assumed it was a hibernation attempt so i used body heat to warm him then put him in his cage on his heating pad. I checked him a few hours later and he was off the pad and felt cold again. In the morning i went and bought him a ceramic heat emitter. This seemed to solve the problem, he was playing all afternoon and seemed back to his normal self. Then i left and when i came back at night he was balled up on his wheel and was wobbly when i picked him up. I didnt want to take any chances so i brought him right in to an emergency vet who said it may be an inner ear infection or wobbly hedgehog syndrome (very early onset as he is only 11 weeks old). I have started his antibiotics but have noticed he is sleeping very much (i realize he is still a baby but more than he was before) and seems very inactive (he is usually a pretty active little guy). He unballs for me when i pick him up and does not feel cold anymore. the temperature in his cage is up to about 75. I have put a light next to his cage to keep up for 12 hours at a time for light regulation as winter is coming. he does not seem as wobbly as before but he still seems weak. is there anything more i can do? does this sound like WHS or something else? will my little guy be alright? thank you!
nicole92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

No, it doesn't sound like WHS, sounds like a hibernation attempt.
What was the temperature in the cage before? Is the temperature the same throughout the whole cage? How much fluxuation is there in temperature?
When he's out playing, the temperature requirements are the same as in the cage.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Why are you giving him antibiotics? It takes a toll on their tiny bodies and if was just a hibernation attempt, then you not accomplishing anything by giving him antibiotics.

I doubt your house is all above 75. He may have gotten too cold at some point when running around and attempted hibernation or he was cold even before that, in his cage.

You need to make sure more or less the whole cage is heated to the same temperature, try to insulate it with foam insulation or coroplast, or even just blankets but leave some space for the air to circulate. Make sure where ever he sleeps is warm enough. I put my hedgehog in a sleeping sack for the day that I wrap another fleece around, and place it under a CHE.

You just got him two weeks ago, and he's attempted hibernation. That tells me you need to be more vigilant with your hedgehog. Remember, his back is covered with quills. They do not provide any insulation. That is why they will get cold easily.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default thank you for your help, more questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Why are you giving him antibiotics? It takes a toll on their tiny bodies and if was just a hibernation attempt, then you not accomplishing anything by giving him antibiotics.

I doubt your house is all above 75. He may have gotten too cold at some point when running around and attempted hibernation or he was cold even before that, in his cage.

You need to make sure more or less the whole cage is heated to the same temperature, try to insulate it with foam insulation or coroplast, or even just blankets but leave some space for the air to circulate. Make sure where ever he sleeps is warm enough. I put my hedgehog in a sleeping sack for the day that I wrap another fleece around, and place it under a CHE.

You just got him two weeks ago, and he's attempted hibernation. That tells me you need to be more vigilant with your hedgehog. Remember, his back is covered with quills. They do not provide any insulation. That is why they will get cold easily.
The vet at the emergency clinic i took him to last night said it could be an inner ear infection so she started him on antibiotics to clear up anything that could be going on. the whole cage is heated to about 77 right now with a heating pad under his sleep house for extra warmth if he wants it. I have noticed he is not using his back left leg as much as the others and seems to get dizzy/exhausted when on his wheel lately. he will walk on his wheel for a minute or so and then just put his head down as if to stabilize himself. i have also noticed he seems a little less sturdy on his feet. are these not signs of WHS?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He's much too young for WHS, and it also typically appears much more slowly. Agreed with the previous replies that it's very unlikely to be WHS.

An ear infection is a good possibility, and his behavior seems to match that as well. Sounds like his cage is warm enough, and I would definitely keep that up. See how the antibiotics go. Hopefully it is just an ear infection and the antibiotics will clear it up quickly.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Smile thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
He's much too young for WHS, and it also typically appears much more slowly. Agreed with the previous replies that it's very unlikely to be WHS.

An ear infection is a good possibility, and his behavior seems to match that as well. Sounds like his cage is warm enough, and I would definitely keep that up. See how the antibiotics go. Hopefully it is just an ear infection and the antibiotics will clear it up quickly.
thank you so much for your help. so far he has had just two doses of antibiotics and seems a little better already. he is falling over quite a bit but mostly to one side - possibly the side that has the infection? - but seems to be in better spirits and keeps trying to play despite the falls. i gave him a bowl of water (rather than his normal water bottle) that he drank right up so i may keep that in his cage to pump him full of fluids as i know fluids help with ear infections in humans. thank you again for your help, i am still very new to owning a hedgehog and just want the very best for my little guy. I am expecting a phone call from the vet in the morning and he has an appointment to be seen Thursday with a tentative emergency visit scheduled for tomorrow afternoon if the vet determines it is needed (but only for an emergency as i would have to miss work to bring him and definitely need to keep working with all these vet bills hes had lately!). thank you so much to everyone that answered, you have definitely eased my worrying mind!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the bowl of water even after his infection has cleared up! They tend to be much easier for hedgehogs to drink from than water bottles, and they're also easier to clean daily. Water bottles should also be cleaned daily, but it's harder which can make it easy to skip on.

It sounds like you're doing great with him so far, so just try to relax! You've done everything right in this situation - got him a heat set up, got him to the vet to get checked out, and you're getting him treated. I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the bowl of water even after his infection has cleared up! They tend to be much easier for hedgehogs to drink from than water bottles, and they're also easier to clean daily. Water bottles should also be cleaned daily, but it's harder which can make it easy to skip on.

It sounds like you're doing great with him so far, so just try to relax! You've done everything right in this situation - got him a heat set up, got him to the vet to get checked out, and you're getting him treated. I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time.
thanks again! one more thing, i took the wheel out of his cage for now because i noticed that every time he went on it he would seem to get dizzy or exhausted and lay his head down as if to stabilize then would fall asleep there after only a minute or two of using it. i was afraid he would either tire himself out with the wheel or become cold sleeping on the hard plastic rather than on his heating pad or bedding. (the ceramic heat emitter is clipped on his cage directly above the wheel but i still was worried he might get cold from the plastic). however, since taking it out, he seems to be trying to climb the sides of his cage walls which he has never done before and in doing so he keeps sliding down and landing on his side. it doesnt seem to hurt him or anything but he does seem to struggle a bit to get back up. should i give the wheel back to him to stop this behavior or should i keep the wheel out until he is feeling better? i dont want him to get bored but i also dont want him to exhaust himself trying to run on a wheel when he isnt feeling well.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Since your getting a phone call tomorrow from the vet, you could keep it out for the night. If it's an ear infection he won't be very stable on his feet. Then ask about it when you speak to the vet.
With a hedgehog that has an uneasy gait some vets love to say it's WHS. Only problem is they can't prove that's what it is on a living animal. Just like people there are reasons for unsteady gait. Ear infection is the most common. Then you also have other issues, neurological, skeletal, then at the very end once everything is checked and nothing is found, then you can start to assume it's WHS. But I guess ear infection doesn't sound hedgehoggy enough so they say wobbly hedgehog syndrome. I don't believe any veterinary school covers hedgehogs more than a short section when they cover exotics. So in reality that explains it.
Do you have a thermometer in the cage? If so what is it reading? The goal is to have the same temperature in the entire cage 24/7. A heating pad could cause different issues but the one that concerns me at this point is too much of a temperature difference. That could either cause him to stay where it's warm, or get chilly when he leaves that area.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
Since your getting a phone call tomorrow from the vet, you could keep it out for the night. If it's an ear infection he won't be very stable on his feet. Then ask about it when you speak to the vet.
With a hedgehog that has an uneasy gait some vets love to say it's WHS. Only problem is they can't prove that's what it is on a living animal. Just like people there are reasons for unsteady gait. Ear infection is the most common. Then you also have other issues, neurological, skeletal, then at the very end once everything is checked and nothing is found, then you can start to assume it's WHS. But I guess ear infection doesn't sound hedgehoggy enough so they say wobbly hedgehog syndrome. I don't believe any veterinary school covers hedgehogs more than a short section when they cover exotics. So in reality that explains it.
Do you have a thermometer in the cage? If so what is it reading? The goal is to have the same temperature in the entire cage 24/7. A heating pad could cause different issues but the one that concerns me at this point is too much of a temperature difference. That could either cause him to stay where it's warm, or get chilly when he leaves that area.
I do have a thermometer in the cage, it is reading about 77. The current thermometer is not digital as I am just borrowing it from my roommates chameleon until mine arrives in the mail (the new one will tell me high and low from 24 hours, humidity, etc). I have the thermometer located on the opposite side of the cage from where the ceramic heat emitter is clipped to be sure the entire cage is getting the right warmth. His cage, however, is not huge so the heat emitter is easily warming the whole cage. Then, in addition there is a small animal heating pad under his sleep house that he chose to lay on sometimes but also sometimes chosen to sleep outside of the sleep house, off the heating pad. Outside the house he has fleece and bedding for nesting as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in