New hedgehog too cold! Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog too cold! Help!

I bought my hedgehog two days ago, she's about 20 weeks old. My house is normally over 70-72 degrees, and the websites I checked said that this would be warm enough for her. Night before last she was running on her wheel acting totally normal, but this morning I woke her up to socialize and she had a runny nose, and her belly was cold. I called the pet store and immediately bought her a reptile lamp with a red nocturnal bulb, as they instructed. He said that she should be noticeably better by tomorrow, as long as I don't let the cage get too hot, and if not I should take her to the vet.

Is this true? Will she really be better in that short of time? I'm so worried, I already love her so much! Is there anything else I should do?
SuperHedgie64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, if she pulls through you want a proper heat set up. Heat and light need to be separate. If either isn't working properly, you will have issues.

What is the temperature in the cage?
Is her belly still cold?
Is she able to walk normally?

She needs to be kept at a warmer temperature, especially after this. She needs a consistent light schedule.

Depending on how close she is to hibernating, you should see improvement before morning.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm currently setting up the lamp now. When I took her out of her cage this morning she was running around and exploring, so she can still walk normally, and she also pooped. The lightbulb says that it's a source of both light and heat.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's not really, though. Red light bulbs don't produce much light and there's debate if hedgehogs can even see in that spectrum. You need a sufficient source of light (such as a table lamp) AND a source of heat, such as a CHE lamp.

In the meantime, keep her warm by sticking her in a sweater or something with you. Our body heat is pretty good as an emergency heating system.

For future reference. 70-72 can still be cold for some hedgies as you found out. Some hedgies need between 75-80. In addition, 70-72 will be the temperature at the thermostat but not necessarily the temperature at your hedgehog's cage, especially if it's close to the ground.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does she need light at night time too? I have a lamp on near her cage during the day (even though it's usually light in there anyway), but at night she doesn't move out of her house until it's dark.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm a longtime hedgie lover but am new to ownership - I'm sure someone here can help you out tho - there isn't much that's not covered on the forum.

myhedgie, Bella, seems to like temperatures in the high 70s. I've been playing with different settings, but I'm thinking I'm going to settle on 78-80. I cover her cage at night and if I'm not home, so that the temperature in her cage will stay consistant. I have a separate thermometer because the thermostat readings are sort of non-specific. I also have a separate light (one of my old aquarium ones) that I switch on in the morning. When I'm home I'm checking on her consistantly throughout the day - hopefully I can settle into some consistancy we both feel comfortable with.

Hope your baby is feeling better!
Mirabella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

No, she will not need light at night. Just set up a timer on a 12 hour schedule to take of the light situation. Even though we're awake during the day, darkness is still important for us to be healthy. Same goes for your hedgehog, just in reverse
Old 10-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is a photo I just took to show off my example. My room is much brighter than this, just my phone's camera is terrible

Not picture is the timer the light plugs into, and the thermostat the CHE lamp plugs in to.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alright, the lamp is set up and her igloo is right underneath it. Just in case, we're putting her in a sweater for a half hour or so to warm her up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1444520889844.jpg (225.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do you have a thermostat or something for that lamp to regulate the temperature? Or else it's going to be perpetually on and might get too hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in