Please help i cant stand to see my baby like this - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Please help i cant stand to see my baby like this

So i went on vacation for 2 days, and i left my hedgehog with a relative of mine for the 2 days. I called them every night and they had claimed to me she was eating, drinking, and running on her wheel. When i picked her up, there was barely ANY food taken out of her bowl. I dont think she was eating

I have had her home for about 3 hours now, I didn't take her out right away because i knew she might be a little grumpy from the car ride. but when i went to check on her just now, her redlight heating lamp wasnt working.
It must've burnt out but i dont think my baby is ok

I have her with me right now and shes shaking very badly and she's very cold underneath. Shes laying flat on her belly i dont see much of her feet just her face. I have her bundled up in blanked and her head is out but she wont eat the food i'm putting in front of her.. I'm trying to force her to drink some water but she wont she just sneezes when it touches her. Shes very grumpy right now..

My relative cant be sure how much she was eating each night... What do i do? Do i take the chance and see if she's okay tonight? I cant get a new lamp till tomorrow.. What should i do with her right now as shes very grumpy and wont eat.. Please give me some tips what should i do about her not eating?

Sorry im rumbling things out right now im worried
roxyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to syringe feed her food and water as soon as you can, as for warming her up put a blanket in the dryer and while it's going if you have a heating pad put her on it with a blanket or let her lay on you and cuddle her up so she's warm then wrap her in the blanket from the dryer.

Someone with more experience will come along and help out more but for now this is what I know from reading other threads.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storybrooke View Post
You need to syringe feed her food and water as soon as you can, as for warming her up put a blanket in the dryer and while it's going if you have a heating pad put her on it with a blanket or let her lay on you and cuddle her up so she's warm then wrap her in the blanket from the dryer.

Someone with more experience will come along and help out more but for now this is what I know from reading other threads.
What do i use in the syringe? How much of it is the correct amount for a year and 5 month old female?

I've never had to syringe feed her

Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Crushing up kibble and mixing it with water should be fine just make sure the mix can be sucked up in the syringe and go out smoothly, I would feed her half of whatever type of syringe you have if she hasn't eaten in two days, but first I would give her a syringe full of water.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

What is the temperature in the cage? Warming her up is the first thing to do.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...bernation.html

Last edited by twobytwopets; 08-30-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added hibernation sticky
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
What is the temperature in the cage? Warming her up is the first thing to do.
The temperature is NORMALLY 72-76 but when i checked now(probably because of her heating lamp being out) it was only 68.5.
She seems to be all warmed up now and is sitting in my arms drinking her water bottle but wont budge to eat food
Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

She isn't recovered yet, so it's not surprising she isn't eating yet. Let her raise her body temperature up a bit more.
You said you use a red light, as in an infared light? Those aren't as reliable as the CHE bulbs and they produce light, hedgehogs need a light/dark schedule and if your source of heat is producing light you aren't giving that to them. Increases periods of darkness send signals to their brains that it's winter and time to hibernate.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
She isn't recovered yet, so it's not surprising she isn't eating yet. Let her raise her body temperature up a bit more.
You said you use a red light, as in an infared light? Those aren't as reliable as the CHE bulbs and they produce light, hedgehogs need a light/dark schedule and if your source of heat is producing light you aren't giving that to them. Increases periods of darkness send signals to their brains that it's winter and time to hibernate.
When i go to my petstore tomorrow, what do you reccommend me getting her to keep her cage warm enough?
And do you think she will be ok tonight without any source of heating lamps?

I do take her out so the infered light wasnt the only source of light.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

CHE or ceramic heat emitter is what you need for tonight do you have a space heater you can use?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad you've gotten her warmed up. Give her some time to be cuddly & warm with you. For tonight, you need to make sure her temperature is at least 73F. A space heater would work, otherwise you'll need to turn the house temperature up until you can get a CHE bulb. If you live with anyone else, explain that it's essential for her health & that it's just until tomorrow. She really needs to stay warm now - you don't know how long she was attempting hibernation, and the first few days after are when they're most likely to do so again if the temperature gets too low or if it changes too much.

Make absolutely sure when you get a CHE bulb that you have a lamp that is rated safe for CHEs. They get much hotter than infrared bulbs and need a lamp with a ceramic base. Otherwise it's a fire hazard. You also need a thermostat to keep the temperature steady & keep the bulb from getting too hot. If the store doesn't have one, I would suggest ordering one online with overnight shipping or two day shipping. You want it asap, especially if you can't keep an eye on the temperature much.

And I think it was already mentioned, but she needs a source of light near her cage and it's best not to depend on daylight. She should have a light near her cage or the room light on for 12-14 hours during the day to help prevent hibernation attempts.

I'm sorry that your relative didn't know to watch these things more closely! I hope she'll recover quickly. Keep an eye on her for the next several days for any sneezing, sniffling, or discharge from her nose, as well as crackly-sounding breathing. If you see any of that, she could have a URI from the hibernation attempt and she'll need a vet visit for antibiotics before it gets worse.
nikki and honeywhistle like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in