My Hedgehog Keeps on Sleeping - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question My Hedgehog Keeps on Sleeping

Dobby, my hedgehog, ever since I got him.. his poop was green but not jelly like. Yet I became concerned due to the forums here saying that green means his stressed/going through changes until yesterday his poop became brown...

But a while ago it was green again... And he keeps on sleeping and with searching on the net I believe he is hibernating and it says here that too much hibernation is bad.

A while ago he was sleeping and the moment he woke up I played with him and while walking he started wobbling and then fell asleep.

I was scared that he might be dead but rest assured he's not.

I sometimes wake him up just to see if he's still alive.

He became 3 mos old yesterday and I'm already planning to take him to the vet this weekend.

In the meantime I would like to know what I can do about this. I also tried heating and lighting but I just started it today.
dobbymama_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Heating, lighting are important. However rest is important. Your hedgehog is still a baby. Let him sleep during the day, then in the evening get him out to play. If he doesn't play and goes back to sleep, that's fine too.
dobbymama_01 likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

You need to start reading all the stickies in each topic here. Especially pay attention to the heating, caging and behavior sections.

You need at least 12-14 hours of light every day.

You need to maintain a temperature of 74-76 degrees. You must have a thermometer in the cage so you know.

ANY HIBERNATION IS BAD. Our little guys can't survive it.

Please educate yourself so you can take good care of your little one.
nikki, Lilysmommy and dobbymama_01 like this.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you I just learned to check his tummy in case of a hibernation attempt... And it's warm. How would you know if he's just sleeping?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

As long as Dobby's cage is properly heated and is on a consistent light cycle of 12-14 hours of light per day, he is pretty safe from hibernation attempts. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not something you need to worry about constantly. That's why a good set-up is so important for hedgehogs.

I'd be more worried about green feces at this point. My breeder advised me to contact a vet if the green feces lasted more than a few days. What food are you giving him? Is there anything that could be chronically stressing him out like a lack of consistent light cycle, noise, frequent sleep interruptions, etc?
dobbymama_01 likes this.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergirlmel View Post
As long as Dobby's cage is properly heated and is on a consistent light cycle of 12-14 hours of light per day, he is pretty safe from hibernation attempts. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not something you need to worry about constantly. That's why a good set-up is so important for hedgehogs.

I'd be more worried about green feces at this point. My breeder advised me to contact a vet if the green feces lasted more than a few days. What food are you giving him? Is there anything that could be chronically stressing him out like a lack of consistent light cycle, noise, frequent sleep interruptions, etc?
It might be caused by the inconsistent light cycle... I just learned about it yesterday. I feed him 'Beef Pro' which I also bought from the breeder... so I kinda doubt that's it.

And in addition to his green poops... I noticed him scratching but not often. So I don't think it's mites... but I'm not so sure. Since he's quilling but I checked his quills... it has a rounded tip, which I read from other articles are just normal quilling/ baby quilling. It might be dry skin though...
Old 07-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Beef pro the dog food? I can't find nutritional info on it but you might want to swing by the nutrition section of the forum and read through the stickies. Also a member on here has written a great e book and it talks a great deal on nutrition and how to compare labels. Her name is lizardgirl, the link to the book is in her signature.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
Beef pro the dog food? I can't find nutritional info on it but you might want to swing by the nutrition section of the forum and read through the stickies. Also a member on here has written a great e book and it talks a great deal on nutrition and how to compare labels. Her name is lizardgirl, the link to the book is in her signature.
Yes, that's the one. I bought from the breeder so that Dobby will not be too stressed with his house changing and everything, I thought it would be best to give him the same food given to him by the breeder.

Thanks I'm going to check it out right now
Old 07-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Update on Dobby's poop... It's a bit brown now right?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

You're absolutely right in giving him the same food the breeder has given him...for a week or two, until he's less stressed.

He seems to be adjusting now, so I'd try to start switching him to a higher quality food. As suggested, look in the nutrition section for sticky topics on choosing food and transitioning. I know your options are limited, but I think you should have a couple of decent options.

I'm still a bit concerned that it seemed to take long for his poop to look normal (and it does look pretty good from what I can tell in the picture). He could have just taken awhile to settle, but I feel like there's probably something else going on. Though his food is the same the breeder gave him, it still could be dietary. I think it's good that you have a vet appointment set up.

And finally, here is the book twobytwopets mentioned. It really is a great resource, and it has a wonderful tutorial on choosing food.

Tags
green poop, hedgehog, hibernating, hibernation, sleeping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in