Hibernating or dead? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Ally's_Oliver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernating or dead?

Jawn hadn't eaten anything or drank since last week.Today I found him weak like a ragdoll.I gave him water and he drank some,he began opening and closing his mouth like a yawn from time to time.Right now I don't see him breathing,I detect no heartbeat,at one point I felt something like well it's like when you stiffen and then relax again.Then his front legs stretched ahead and stiffened but now they are back to movable state.URGENT!
SteelFlower17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Please tell me you didn't let your pet stop eating and drinking for a week without taking him to the vet.

He should have been at the vet after the first sign of something amiss, and failing to eat or drink is a big sign of something very, very wrong. Take him to the vet now. It's likely he is either dead or too sick to recover, but if there's a chance, he deserves it.

And while this may sound mean, if he survives, I implore you to re-home him someone who will more responsibly care for him. You may be an otherwise decent person, but a hedgie is obviously not the pet for you.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergirlmel View Post
Please tell me you didn't let your pet stop eating and drinking for a week without taking him to the vet.

He should have been at the vet after the first sign of something amiss, and failing to eat or drink is a big sign of something very, very wrong. Take him to the vet now. It's likely he is either dead or too sick to recover, but if there's a chance, he deserves it.

And while this may sound mean, if he survives, I implore you to re-home him someone who will more responsibly care for him. You may be an otherwise decent person, but a hedgie is obviously not the pet for you.
First I only noticed that and I assumed its a week since I changed the water and food exactly a week ago.

Second - he died.

Amd third:I had an avalanche of problems these 2 months and if you see how long I did not drink or eat...**** it just leave it.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can't compare your situation to your hedgehog's. You're human. You can choose when to see a doctor because you can't eat or when to seek financial help because you can't afford food or when to do something because you're under too much stress. Jawn depended on you to do those things for him. He depended on you to spend time with him every day, to give him fresh food and water, to clean his cage. He depended on you for everything. He depended on you to notice when something was wrong. You didn't, and he's dead.

The world is full of truly responsible pet owners who missed a sign of a serious illness or unintentionally did something that turned out to be harmful. Mistakes happen. But there's a difference between a mistake and neglect, and whatever the circumstances, pet owners have to take responsibility for their actions.

Everyone has problems. Some people have problems that leave them struggling to survive. I'm truly sorry for the problems you're facing. I am. But at the same time, I'm not going to sugarcoat it and tell you that this is okay, that it happens to everyone, and that you shouldn't worry about it. Because it's not okay.

For what it's worth to you, I'll keep you in my prayers and truly do hope that things get better for you.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You can't compare your situation to your hedgehog's. You're human. You can choose when to see a doctor because you can't eat or when to seek financial help because you can't afford food or when to do something because you're under too much stress. Jawn depended on you to do those things for him. He depended on you to spend time with him every day, to give him fresh food and water, to clean his cage. He depended on you for everything. He depended on you to notice when something was wrong. You didn't, and he's dead.

The world is full of truly responsible pet owners who missed a sign of a serious illness or unintentionally did something that turned out to be harmful. Mistakes happen. But there's a difference between a mistake and neglect, and whatever the circumstances, pet owners have to take responsibility for their actions.

Everyone has problems. Some people have problems that leave them struggling to survive. I'm truly sorry for the problems you're facing. I am. But at the same time, I'm not going to sugarcoat it and tell you that this is okay, that it happens to everyone, and that you shouldn't worry about it. Because it's not okay.

For what it's worth to you, I'll keep you in my prayers and truly do hope that things get better for you.
It's my fault and I got it the minute I noticed something was wrong.You don't need to blast on my head about it.

Don't try,it never gets better.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

That was my only goal: to make sure you truly did "get it."

And again, I really am sorry for the loss of Jawn and for the problems you're facing.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
That was my only goal: to make sure you truly did "get it."

And again, I really am sorry for the loss of Jawn and for the problems you're facing.
Good.You made it.Now tell me to get rid of all my other pets and to never have one again and it willa ll be fine.

Ya don't need to be sorry for something you won't suffer from.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's empathy.

I don't like for people to suffer. If I could prevent everyone in the world from suffering at all, I would. Even it meant I suffered.

But that's not the point, and this isn't about me. I was offering an olive branch. Take it, or don't.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Alright. Everyone take a step back here. First of all, let's not point fingers and toss blame around. No matter what your going through, it's important to remember your pets are COMPLETELY dependent on you. However, what's done is done. I am sorry for you loss, but I hope you learn some valuable lessons. Should you get another hedgehog, have other hedgehogs currently, whatever, you should know that they require DAILY care. Everyday their food and water needs to be REPLACED, their wheel needs to be cleaned, and their waste needs to be removed. That should be standard with any animal that you have. And that's just the basic living care. You also have to interact with them and improve their quality of life. It's a lot of work! And you may not have time for it and there's no shame in that. A lot of people don't have time for an animal. The shame is in knowing you don't have time and keeping the animal anyway. Doing so is neglectful and presents many legal and ethical issues. Good luck with everything.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally's_Oliver View Post
Alright. Everyone take a step back here. First of all, let's not point fingers and toss blame around. No matter what your going through, it's important to remember your pets are COMPLETELY dependent on you. However, what's done is done. I am sorry for you loss, but I hope you learn some valuable lessons. Should you get another hedgehog, have other hedgehogs currently, whatever, you should know that they require DAILY care. Everyday their food and water needs to be REPLACED, their wheel needs to be cleaned, and their waste needs to be removed. That should be standard with any animal that you have. And that's just the basic living care. You also have to interact with them and improve their quality of life. It's a lot of work! And you may not have time for it and there's no shame in that. A lot of people don't have time for an animal. The shame is in knowing you don't have time and keeping the animal anyway. Doing so is neglectful and presents many legal and ethical issues. Good luck with everything.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in