sparse quills - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cocopunks
  • 1 Post By cocopunks
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default sparse quills

Hey everyone! i need your help re my hedgie having VERY sparse quills. nut first I think I need to provide a back story

So I've pretty much prepared myself before buying my hedgie. Researched everything I needed to know, bought supplies before buying my hedgie etc etc. My location is in Indonesia so buying supplies wasn't that easy because some of you may or may not know we don't easily have access to certain imported products. anywaaaay, I bought my first hedgie exactly a week ago.

I bought it from a pet store, I dont know why I decided to this instead of a breeder knowing that it is going to be my first hedgie. The store I bought him from wasn't handling the hedgies everyday. It was noticable that they don't care, they are only in it for the money. For example, hedgies housed together, probably males fixed with females, overweight hedgies, it was a bad situation. Again, stupid decision for me to hear my want vs being practical. So thus, I still bought him.

I brought my hedgie home, named him vanilla and tried my best to bond with him a little bit only because I dont want him to be overwhelmed also. But what I noticed was he was a very scared hedgehog. Maybe because he was neglected at the pet shop. little movement from him would make him hiss, shake, pop, etc.

I also noticed that my hedgie has very sparse quills. it's not in one area only but all throughout his body. I searched for photos of hedgies and I could see my hedgie had VERY sparse quills. Also when I handle him it hurts, A LOT. and from what I read it hurts, yes, but not really. I have also seen him scratch himself on when I let him roam around the sofa. Our sofa is black so I never saw white particles moving since people are saying this is one sign of having mites.

I don';t know what to do already. i even ordered online revolution so just in case it is mites I have the medicine to give him. Also gave him oatmeal baths cause I can definitely see new quills poking thru. dont know if this is because of quilling or he has a ring worn or maybe mites. But i did notice that after a week of being with him he is not so scared anymore but still occasional popping at me occurs, and i see it as a sign that playtime with mommy is over.

sorry for this being so long but I just want to share my story or even maybe could understand the history of vanilla more. Hope someone replies.

the first picture is him a few days after I got him where I noticed the problem and the other picture is a day ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150314_004.jpg (90.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150316_21_43_50_Raw.jpg (397.5 KB, 76 views)
Katten likes this.
cocopunks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome!!!

I think that it might be a mix of quilling and something else (probably mites) that is causing the quill loss. It may also be a bit of stress from being in that awful pet shop environment. Its always recommended to bring your new baby hedgie to a vet just for an initial checkup. So if you bring vanilla you can ask the vet to do an overall checkup to make sure your hedgie is healthy

Its great that u got revolution. I definitely think you should treat your hedgie with revolution just in case he does have mites. When you apply revolution, wait a few days to give him a bath. U want to give the revolution time to sink in. Usually revolution is applied once every 3 weeks (2 or 3 times in total).

So far you doing everything right! And its great to hear that bonding is going well!! Remember that patience is key

Good luck!!!

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you for replying! problem is i dont know any vets for exotic animals here in Indonesia. But definitely still looking for one.

just gave him an oatmeal bath last night and this morning he let me touch his quills without balling up. And when input my hand in his cage he himself comes up to me. I just need to start being able to pick him up without balling. It definitely hurts. Haha. But i know he's just a scared little one. I just hope when I treat him with revolution that all his quills will start to grow back. I also am trying to mix olive oil with his food since olive oil in rinse water should only be done once a week right?

and i think he's underweight. Any advice on making him gain weight? I heard giving them a higher percentage fat content cat food would do the trick. But most of the cat food in stores here are whiskas or friskies which are full of fillers. Guess i need to look online again. Hahaha

Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is always a good idea to have a vet you can bring your hedgie to just in case anything happens. If you don't have an exotic vet anywhere near you, you can try contacting regular vets with small animal experience and seeing if they would be able to look at your hedgie

You can use olive oil in a whole bunch of different ways. You can add it to food (just made sure that your hedgie isn't bothered by it. You want to monitor his food intake). You can give a bath with a few drops of oil in it (I would do this when its actually necessary because it can still dry the skin out a little). You can also apply a few drops directly to the skin (this is what i do!) I bought a little dropper and i apply a few drops to the dry patches.

The best way to make your hedgie gain weight is increasing the fat content in his foods. Getting a high quality cat food with higher fat will work! kitten food is usually high in fat. You could also add insects to his diet (If you haven't already). Insects are great for the health of your hedgie

How much does your hedgie weigh? Does he have a shape that looks like this ) ( ?

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015, 03:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just started adding olive oil to his food, today would be the second day. It does not bother him and he is still able to finish his food.

I haven't had the chance to weigh him yet. will do it tonight when i get home form work. With regard to his shape it is more of straight rather than ) ( or the normal ( ) maybe im just being paranoid. cause of the environment he was from.

were doing so much progress now in terms of bonding which makes me so happy! when I put my hand on his cage he himself voluntarily goes to the palm. But picking him up is still a little bit of a challenge because he balls up. he's a very jumpy and afraid little boy. I just make sure that my other hand has a towel so when he balls up I am able to catch him rather than him falling back in his cage. haha.

i know that patience is the key and in time hopefully his skin condition will be better and his personality towards people also.

thanks for always replying
Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

i think it would be best for me to give an update regarding vanilla's quills for thos that have the similar issue.

recently my bonding with him is definitely better. Hes not as jumpy and scared as before but the process is still having its downfalls like days where he'll be very grumpy and days when he's better in terms of time length in waiting for him to allow handling. But in general it is MUCH better. I still use towels or the shirt I wore on the same day for handling him because I still cant get used to hiss quills when he balls up. THEY HURT. Hahaha.

so the past days ive been seeing quill loss. Before it was just sparse quills. I guess he stopped quilling due to stress if that is even possible? But when i got him I definitely saw bany quills and bigger quills but never saw the quills on his liner, etc up until recently where his mood is definitely better. Its stills sparse but I am also starting to see new ones coming out. So hopefully in about a week or so all his quills are out.

also gave him his first dose of revolution which led to a very very angry hedgie. But put olive oil on his skin 48 hrs after the revolution.

will keep on updating this thread for thos that have a similar problem. ��
We.love.Ginko likes this.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I know I havent been active lately but all is well regarding his quills!
there are still some occasional quill loss (seeing his quills on liner, on his bath towel, etc) still a little alarming but i guess it's due to him still having mites probably? i can still see/hear him scratching at night

you may check out the photos I uploaded regarding his comparison. he definitely still has bald spots but i notice there are new quills coming thru.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phototastic-4_3_2015_691d8c37-1f63-44db-9bbf-be262692c13b.jpg (169.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0755.jpg (144.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He's looking much better! How many doses of Revolution did you give him and when was his last one? What kind of bedding are you using? Did you throw away anything wooden in his cage?

If you're not sure if the mites are gone, one more dose of Revolution would be a good idea, as well as removing any possible vectors for them - wooden or paper bedding, any wooden huts or toys, and clean the cage thoroughly. Use liners for now until you're sure the mites are gone (if you don't already use them). Clean the cage every day or every other day for a week or two.

If the mites are definitely gone, but he's still itching, it could be from dry skin, or a skin infection. If you can, it wouldn't hurt to go in to the vet to check for an infection, just in case, as well as do a general wellness check. If you'd rather check for dry skin first, a lot of people use & like Humilac. Let your hedgie smell it first (on a blanket or something), to make sure it won't upset them. Then test on a small patch of skin, and watch for negative reactions. If it doesn't bother hedgie, then you can use it. Just be aware that treating for dry skin can make skin infections worse since oils clog up the skin pores.
shetland likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
He's looking much better! How many doses of Revolution did you give him and when was his last one? What kind of bedding are you using? Did you throw away anything wooden in his cage?

If you're not sure if the mites are gone, one more dose of Revolution would be a good idea, as well as removing any possible vectors for them - wooden or paper bedding, any wooden huts or toys, and clean the cage thoroughly. Use liners for now until you're sure the mites are gone (if you don't already use them). Clean the cage every day or every other day for a week or two.

If the mites are definitely gone, but he's still itching, it could be from dry skin, or a skin infection. If you can, it wouldn't hurt to go in to the vet to check for an infection, just in case, as well as do a general wellness check. If you'd rather check for dry skin first, a lot of people use & like Humilac. Let your hedgie smell it first (on a blanket or something), to make sure it won't upset them. Then test on a small patch of skin, and watch for negative reactions. If it doesn't bother hedgie, then you can use it. Just be aware that treating for dry skin can make skin infections worse since oils clog up the skin pores.
I basiccaly gave him 2 doses. I bought the revolution online and i did not think that it only camr with one tube and thr revolution evaporates fast. Last one was 2 days ago. But i think the mites are gone. I use fleece as his bedding but when i first got him from the pet store they used wood chips. Immediately got rid of that and changed to fleece.

I do think the mites are gone but his skin has become dry due to revolution. Will definitely try to look for humilac since the only access i have is olive oil which is not good to be usrd always. I do mix it with his food since some people do say it helps. Living in Indonesia makes it very difficult to access some recommended items. When i had a problem with his feces I bought a probiotic drink since i dont have access to the powder.

Tags
landakmini, mites, quill, sparsequill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in